Quote from: Zoomie
Arrrgh! They call him Redbeard the Period Pirate...

Great Movies of the 20th Century.(Read 23875 times)
Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 09:32:04 AM
Danzig did you see Synechdoche, NY? If not, you should, it's excellent.
you treat me like a monologue ho

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 09:40:49 AM
No actually i had never even heard of it.

Oh and Catherine Keener, 49 and I would still pound the fuck out of her if given the chance.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:43:06 AM by Drugmoth »
~
A pleasant man with a pleasant weapon

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 10:24:43 AM
Me too! She's super hot.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 10:44:06 AM
This topic is insanely broad. It's like the "Good songs from 1900-2000" thread. I mean how can anyone start anywhere? We have no focus here at all.

Oh well. Here are ten random films from 1900-2000 I liked:
1)The Graduate
2)Dog Day Afternoon (calling for Scarface endlessly gets a bit old)
3)Rashomon
4)Offelas
5)Otesanek
6)Babette's Feast
7)Mon Oncle
8)Watership Down (or Plague Dogs for that matter)
9)The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey
10)Ernest Scared Stupid

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:53 AM
Wow, I'm going to disregard that post.
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 10:49:33 AM
Oh except this part

This topic is insanely broad. It's like the "Good songs from 1900-2000" thread.

There is a big difference.  What music is good is mostly opinon.   What movie is good is mostly fact.  Most people here can agree on what the best fuckin movies ever are unless they have shit taste in movies.

Example, who here thought Fight Club was less than awesome? truthfully
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:52:13 AM by Drugmoth »
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:28 AM
This topic is insanely broad. It's like the "Best songs from 1900-2000" thread.
Fixed!

Ah facts. How could anyone disagree that Donnie Darko is one of the best films of the 20th Century?
Yeah I'll leave you to your facts.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #37 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:44 AM
From IMDB: Top 250: #127  - Donnie Darko

Apparently everyone, fuckface.

And on a side note, where do you see a site where you vote for the best album ever, of any genre?  You don't.  Because that would be fucking futile cuz it's all opinion.  ON IMDB the movies on the top are mostly just DAMN GOOD MOVIES.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:22:44 AM by Drugmoth »
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:34 AM
How could anyone disagree that Donnie Darko is one of the best films of the 20th Century?
Apparently everyone, fuckface.

Of course it's well known that only card-carrying filmologists can rank movies on IMDB, but still I find myself questioning the facts with even the most scrupulous of film researchers: Siskel and Ebert (and Roper or whatever). Didn't they give Speed 2 the double thumbs up?

Anyway none of this goes to the heart of the issue. Spanning a full century of film is ridiculous. How can you compare a film like Metropolis with something like The Matrix? It's patently silly. A decade-by-decade breakdown might be possible but really what are we doing here? We're discussing the best movies we saw in the theater. As Libertine pointed out half of the films we're discussing came out in the last 10 years. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Watchmen yet.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:29 AM
Pretty much because of culture change, I personally find most movies older than 1970 to be completely uninteresting.
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 11:46:18 AM
Oh and yes I would say most all of the best movie are modern movies.  But to each their own.
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:26 AM
What movie is good is mostly fact.  Most people here can agree on what the best fuckin movies ever are unless they have shit taste in movies.
Pretty much because of culture change, I personally find most movies older than 1970 to be completely uninteresting.

IMDB disagrees. All of the films I listed were actually from the 20th century and 4 of them fell in your precious IMDB top 250. One of them (the one from 1950) even managed to beat Donnie Darko!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:53:51 AM by Doormouse »

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 11:56:30 AM
So? Point?
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 12:07:20 PM
Wow, I'm going to disregard that post.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 12:20:56 PM
I nominate Idiocracy and Office Space.
Go to these sites, and don't forget to tell your friends!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 12:30:28 PM
I already nominated Office Space :P  But Idiocracy was hilarious.
~

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 09:41:50 PM
How about a Jean-Pierre double feature.

The city of lost children (1995)
Delicatessen (1991)

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 09:48:40 PM
I was going to chose one of those, but it's hard to say which is better. Also isn't the destin fabuleux a 2000 film? doesn't it qualify by a hair?
I think ths thread needs some Almodovar as well...

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:17 PM
I saw 2/3rds of Delicatessen. Wish I had finished it.

Amelie is another good movie.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:22 PM
This topic is insanely broad. It's like the "Best songs from 1900-2000" thread.
Fixed!

Ah facts. How could anyone disagree that Donnie Darko is one of the best films of the 20th Century?
Yeah I'll leave you to your facts.

Well, how about the fact that pretty much all of the information you need to even begin to understand what's going on in the movie isn't even in it! Take the time vortex at the end of the movie that sucks the jet engine back to the beginning... Donnie created it. Can't tell that from watching the movie, it just looks like he's sitting there watching it.

How did he create it? The same way he embedded the axe in the solid bronze statue. He has super powers. You see, when Frank woke him out of bed and he didn't get smashed by the jet engine the universe splits off into the universe you see during most of the movie, and is going to collide with the real universe and when that happens they'll both be destroyed. So Donnie is granted super powers that he must use to undo the split so that the collision doesn't happen.

The movie's a lot neater now, isn't it?
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:16 PM
There is a big difference.  What music is good is mostly opinon.   What movie is good is mostly fact.  Most people here can agree on what the best fuckin movies ever are unless they have shit taste in movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
Like yours.  Only different.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 10:01:04 PM

Hi, welcome to the Nazi Party.

KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:51 PM
Look, to tell the truth I didn't mind Donnie Darko. My point was mainly that there is very mixed reaction to it and there's certainly no factual basis behind which movies are considered great. It's all masturbation. Just like discussions of best song or best sculpture or anything like that. But now that we're speaking about Donnie Darko, I understood the whole thing from beginning to end, it wasn't a mystery to me, there was nothing profound about it, and it didn't blow my mind. It was hamdrum and kind of campy but for all that it had its moments. I'd give it a 6/10 maybe. I don't see what the fascination is. For the longest time I thought it was just furry fans and pseudo goths who were super into the film. I'm still not sure but that this segment of society does in fact compose the ranks of its most ardent fans.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:23 PM
Ahh. See, I thought you were saying DD was great, and I was arguing that it wasn't great because of most of what you need in order to really understand it isn't even in the film. There's no way you could understand what was going on (unless you just happened to guess it) without getting outside info from the creator of it. Then there's this whole God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit thing going on that's hinted at in different ways but not explicitly stated.

I like it for it's bizarreness in the missing information aspect, and I like it as a movie, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as one of the greatest movies ever. I think I'd give it a 6 or a 7.

When are we going to discuss the greatest movies of the 19th century?
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #54 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:11 PM
I watched DD, it was OK but I didn't get enough of what was going on to really appreciate it.
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:16 PM
Man, what's worse than people thinking DD was profound were all the cheese heads that got their minds totally blown by the Matrix. AAAGH!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 10:13:23 PM
I really like the movie, Primer.

But it's from 2004.

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:05 PM
start your own 21st century thread, future boy.

EDIT: Yeah primer was good, though. Didn't you post about it on the old boards? I think that's why I saw it in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:15:36 PM by Doormouse »

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
Did anybody mention Blazing Saddles yet?
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Great Movies of the 20th Century. Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:48 PM
start your own 21st century threat, future boy.

EDIT: Yeah primer was good, though. Didn't you post about it on the old boards? I think that's why I saw it in the first place.

Man, if only I had a box, we could go check.