Quote from: Wozzeck
Tru is what happens when you combine a Phillip K Dick novel with a house full of cats.

LoL the Dr is in(Read 6147 times)
LoL the Dr is in on: December 31, 2009, 09:09:15 AM
Dr Kaffeine that is.

Coffee Health Benefits - Coffee Health Risks

The last 25 years has seen the growth of a cottage industry in the study of the effects of coffee and health. And no wonder - over 400 million cups a day are consumed throughout the world. But for decades health workers warned that the habit might be unsafe. Recent studies show the opposite is more likely to be the case.

Caffeine, one of the main ingredients in coffee, has long been known to be a mild stimulant. That can raise blood pressure, increase heart rate and produce the occasional irregular beat. But most researchers now believe the effect is mild and short-lived.

By contrast, the emerging data about the health benefits of coffee consumption are numerous and diverse.
Coffee Health Benefits

There's strong evidence that coffee reduces the odds of developing colon cancer, but only at higher levels of consumption - four cups a day or more. That much intake may well outweigh the benefits.

But other benefits accrue even at moderate levels of coffee drinking.

Coffee, like wine, contains antioxidants that help prevent heart disease and certain cancers by removing cell-destroying oxygen radicals from the blood. Some studies say the concentration of antioxidants is greater than that found in cranberries, apples or tomatoes. Scientists, however, point to the many other valuable vitamins, minerals and fibers in fruits and vegetables.

Apart from the obvious contribution to mental alertness, Chinese studies strongly suggest that coffee can even help reduce the effects of Parkinson's disease.

American and Scandinavian studies both suggest that decaf and regular coffee help reduce the risk of type-2 diabetes. Good news for the Scandinavians who have the highest per capita consumption in the world.

There's some evidence that coffee may reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and gallstones. Other digestive system benefits have been seen, as well. Caffeine increases the secretion of stomach acid, which aids digestion.

Caffeine has been shown to reduce constriction of airways in asthma sufferers, with moderate consumption. In addition to the caffeine, coffee contains theophylline, a bronchodilator which helps the effect.

But those benefits, not surprisingly, come with risks.
Coffee Health Risks

Though mammalian sperm swim faster, longer and farther in fluids laced with coffee some studies link heavy coffee drinking with reduced fertility.

Increased coffee consumption has been associated with higher blood levels of homocysteine, recently shown to be a risk factor for coronary heart disease. Other studies show an increase in LDL-cholesterol (the 'harmful' kind). To what degree these factors actually contribute to heart attacks is a matter of debate.

Coffee contains cafestol, which is known to raise cholesterol levels, mainly in coffee made by the European method of boiling ground beans in water. Percolated or filtered coffee, favored by most Americans, however, removes it. Decaf coffee may be an exception.

Women who drink coffee lose more calcium and tend to have less dense bones than non-caffeine consumers. Those who drink four or more cups per day also have twice the risk of urinary incontinence.

All in all, though, most agree that the benefits - at least at moderate consumption levels - outweigh the risks. By the way, for those heavy drinkers looking for a substitute, colas contain one-third the amount of caffeine per ounce. But somehow drinking a Coke instead of a Latte does not seem worth the risk.

Is Coffee Good for You?
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:21:13 AM
I drink 4 or more cups most days.  And at least as much tea.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:10:20 AM
I have one large mug of coffee. Then several 5 hour energy drinks during the day.

We all gotta die of something...
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:34:47 AM
The only cause of death I fear is Alzheimers.

Of course, if I'm diagnosed with that, my cause of death will be a bullet.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:15:07 PM
But at least you won't have Alzheimer's.
Go to these sites, and don't forget to tell your friends!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:20:31 PM
I like coffee once in a while.
~
A pleasant man with a pleasant weapon

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:45:10 PM
The only cause of death I fear is Alzheimers.

Ugh. Fuck. My grandma has the beginning stages of it.. It's fucking heart breaking.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:51:56 PM
What?
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 09:18:11 PM
I think I  . . . Huh?

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 09:35:45 PM
Rabies!
~

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 12:34:11 AM
Rabies, baby, I'll have you
Rabies, baby, you'll be true
Rabies, baby, I'll have you for me

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 03:18:10 PM
tl:dr

summary plz?

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 11:22:37 PM
Summary:  It doesn't matter.

You can thank me in cuddles & drugs.  Good day.
~

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 04:40:21 PM
tl:dr

summary plz?
You should just do what I do and set up the hotkeys on your mac so that the laptop reads highlighted text to you if you use the right combination of keys. Then I put on boxing and listen to the long posts.

Coffee is god, btw. I adore it, although I am trying to cut my consumption down. I'm at a mere 2 cups in the morning now. That's probably as far as I want to go, frankly. Xmas break was good to me in that regard. I was at 5 morning cups before break. The limiting factor being the size of my coffee pot.

So since this thread is about coffee, then, what method do you use for coffee?
Automatic coffee machine, gravity cone, French press?
For myself, I prefer things simply done. I have an empty pot and a cone with paper filters. Dead simple.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:17 PM

Two heaping spoonfuls, boiling water, but not too much, then lots of milk or cream. I swear it's the best instant out there.

Otherwise I'm a big fan of an espresso after a meal or while drinking. But I probably only average about 30 cups of coffee or espressos a year. I really like coffee but it's not a common thing at all for me.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 07:17:27 PM
I've never tasted an instant coffee I liked, but then again I've never had this Nescafe Alta Rica either, so...

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 07:57:53 PM
My mother has it shipped in from England. I've never seen it for sale anywhere else, which seems silly.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:31:05 PM
That must be some seriously good shit, it's out of stock everywhere except Britstore.com. Now I want some even MORE.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:54 PM
N E S T L E S, Nestle's makes the very best...

What I've been drinking, although I actually preferred the generic at Safeway till  they stopped carrying it..

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 01:27:20 AM
Taster's Choice.

For sale in grocery stores across Armenia.

(as well as America)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:31:32 AM by arielle.looney »
Signature :      X   

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 03:12:24 PM
I drank a lot of Tasters Choice on my first tour in Korea in the early 80s. Gooner's love that shit.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 04:16:25 PM
The local supermarket has started stocking Alta Rica. Fucking sweet.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:06 PM
Si?  Can y'all buy Taster's Choice?  Have you tried it?

I have this hare-brained idea that it's the same product, just different packaging for different countries.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 07:05:33 PM
Yeah, it's available here. It's not bad, but it's no Alta Rica.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 07:20:27 PM
Then I'll be looking for it, also!

Hey, Nick?  Here's another one of those little "side businesses" that you could probably do quite well with.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 08:45:46 PM
Line 'em up. This golf club thing seems to be working out OK and I got some tenants to live in gang-land so I been lookin' for a new gig.

Actually my uncle in Aussie makes a bunch of great natural health products and I'd like to set up MLM companies in Japan and the USA to sell them. anyoneinterestedcanmessagemeasalways
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 02:12:02 PM
I drank Folgers instant for years but now I can't stand the aftertaste.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 10:04:45 PM
Try Taster's Choice ~ they sell boxes of 10 or so packets, so you don't have to buy a 2 month supply at a time!

You won't be disappointed.
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 11:41:51 PM
Umm fyrenza, just about ever brand listed on this thread is produced by the same company.

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 01:50:25 AM
Even so, they all have distinctively different flavors.

It may be that it's all the same company, but I think they buy from all different growers, and it would appear that environment is a major factor in the taste.

i've wondered that about tobacco ~ if where it's grown makes a difference in the taste?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:50:57 AM by fyrenza »
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: LoL the Dr is in Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 04:20:15 AM
I think with commercial tobacco the taste is completely determined by the chemical additives.