Quote from: Zoomie
Thrash, I need you. That thing we talked about.

Suicide Forest(Read 7080 times)
Suicide Forest on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:22 AM
underclass,

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/suicide.forrest.japan/index.html

can you talk about this at all?  i mean, do you understand why this is such a common occurrence?

Also, my current "poor wording of the year" candidate is:
Taro's story is just one of hundreds logged at Aokigahara Forest every year, a place known throughout Japan as the "suicide forest."
Like yours.  Only different.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:17:43 PM
I was reading about that place when researching suicide methods.  The hydrogen sulfide thing looks like a pretty badass way to off yourself.  Those Japs are real innovators.  Burning charcoal isn't the hip thing anymore.
~
A pleasant man with a pleasant weapon

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:18 PM
Uh, what about the Exit Bag dude. You could fill it with nitrous oxide and go out in style.
Go to these sites, and don't forget to tell your friends!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:57:55 PM
Uh, what about the Exit Bag dude. You could fill it with nitrous oxide and go out in style.

I've actually thought about that but I don't know how to acquire that much nitrous.  On the other hand, helium wouldn't be a bad way to go at all and that is much easier to obtain.
~

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:00:33 PM
Head shop dude.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:02:59 PM
Head shop dude.

They only sell little whip cream charges, dude.  Trust me, I frequent them for that reason.

Oh and this is classic: http://www.spike.com/video/gasketballed/3109061

Haha.  Stupid kids.
~

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:31:12 PM
Here's an article on Nitrogen

And you could easily displace the air in an exit bag with two of those nitrous cartridges.

Still, don't go doing it.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:46:15 PM
But you wouldn't want to suffocate, you'd want to pass out before asphyxiation.....so wouldn't only using two of those charges lead to intoxication, but not loss of consciousness before starting to asphyxiate?  Not sure how it works.  What is excreted when you exhale nitrous oxide?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:47:38 PM by Drugmoth »
~

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:48:31 PM
OK, Helium is an inert gas so it doesn't interact with the body except insofar as when you breathe pure helium you don't breath air. There is no such thing as "getting high" on helium. This is a confusion of asphyxia with psychoaction.
The "doctor" in that Basketball film is a joke. They definitely don't use helium as an anaesthetic in the operating room. That is completely wrong. I have heard that the inert xenon can be used as an anaesthetic and I don't understand how that works, but I also know that as one of the lowest noble gasses, xenon can create stable compounds like XeF6 so I'm assuming the heavier ones might either interact or at least have a physical effect. Helium certainly doesn't do shit to people though. They mix it with oxygen into the diving tanks of deep-sea divers for this reason. Funny voice is not the same as getting high.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 02:58:04 PM
OK, Helium is an inert gas so it doesn't interact with the body except insofar as when you breathe pure helium you don't breath air. There is no such thing as "getting high" on helium. This is a confusion of asphyxia with psychoaction.
The "doctor" in that Basketball film is a joke. They definitely don't use helium as an anaesthetic in the operating room. That is completely wrong. I have heard that the inert xenon can be used as an anaesthetic and I don't understand how that works, but I also know that as one of the lowest noble gasses, xenon can create stable compounds like XeF6 so I'm assuming the heavier ones might either interact or at least have a physical effect. Helium certainly doesn't do shit to people though. They mix it with oxygen into the diving tanks of deep-sea divers for this reason. Funny voice is not the same as getting high.

You are very correct, I have no idea why they were talking about helium being an anesthetic.  That's fucking Spike for you.  I just posted it because I thought it was a funny story which is actually true.
~

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 04:01:24 PM
I couldn't believe that the doctor said that helium was being used as an anesthetic either and as soon as I heard that I rewound it. I don't think that's what he says, but since they cut to him in the middle of a sentence it's hard to figure out exactly what the first couple of words are.

Anybody who'd ever inhaled helium could tell you you don't get high off of it though, and it doesn't have any kind of anesthesia effect.

According to the article on nitrogen I linked to the way a gas like nitrogen or helium would kill you is through asphyxiation, however you wouldn't be aware of what's happening until it was too late.

When your're breathing stale air or holding your breath you get the urge to breathe more not because of a lack of oxygen but because of a build up of CO2 in your bloodstream. Since nitrogen and helium are odorless and tasteless you would have no idea you were breathing it and wouldn't know you were suffocating because your body is still excreting CO2. No C02 buildup, no alert to suffocation.

Then, by the time you know you're feeling fucked up it may already be too late. The article cites a NASA incident where an inspector walked into a fuel tank unaware the oxygen had been purged with pure nitrogen. He was all walking along then bam! He hit the ground. Someone else saw this and went in to help him unaware too of the nitrogen situation, then bam! He passed out too.

By the time anyone figured out what had happened they were both dead.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 05:05:48 PM
OK. Glad we're all on the same page. I had a massive argument with the professor of my mandatory "Drugs are Bad, Hmmkay?" class in high school. He would not be shaken from his firm belief that helium gets you high. Several lickspittles in class backed him up by shame-facedly admitting that they had "done helium" before and they had totally gotten high. The whole thing was a farce and I wasted much class time on the issue. On the inhalants portion of the test I wrote "Some people suffer under the delusion that helium gets you high" instead of just leaving it blank. The teacher called my dad to warn him that I might be a helium addict or some such shit. My dad laughed in his face. I ended up with a pretty bad grade in the class. This was the first time I realized that there was such a gap between a student's grasp of the subject material and the marks he receives. It was also the first definite clue to me that most of the bullshit anti-drug people tell you is just that - bullshit, and I credit the whole incident with providing me the impetus to try drugs the first few times in the interest of self-education.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 05:07:46 PM
It's too bad more US workers don't commit suicide when they are laid off.  It would save overhead for management and it would be easier for younger workers to break into their roles!
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 06:10:17 PM
Or go a step further, murder your superior to take their spot.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:11:21 PM
this is entirely true. The Yamanote line is the major train in Tokyo, it runs in a loop around the center of the city linking up main centers and is a favourite for people to throw themselves under. In fact, delays for "personal" incidents are so common that people just shrug. I've walked into a meeting 30 minutes late and explained to some executives that someone had committed suicide by way of an apology.

Japan has crap social welfare. The country runs on the assumption that your family or comapny will look after you. When you're unemployed with no kids then you're in trouble and it's socialy expected that you'll suffer in silence away from public view. The real issue that's hurting people over here is that companies converted a huge number of people from salaries to contracts after the collapse in the 1990s (it's near illegal to fire anyone here, no matter how useless they be). Until last year that wasn't a problem but these people have all lost their jobs now with zero severance pay and no longer have health insurance. Suicides are on the rise again
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 07:32:19 PM
Can we go to the Suicide Forest?

Can we? Can we?

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:11 PM
why not, we should probably take in first aid supplies.
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 10:36:56 PM
I think that sounds like a TON OF FUN.

oh my god, i'm getting so excited!

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 12:17:15 AM
Think of the souveniers you could collect...

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:10:48 AM
my vacation time is locked and loaded.

Combine that fun with Yasukuni shrine, the bomb site in Hiroshima, obligatory pilgrimages to Akihabara and Harajuku, and you have the makings of an interesting week. There's also a wee temple I want to check out en-route to Hiroshima that I haven't seen before.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:24:33 AM by underclass »

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 04:47:30 AM
sure... is that a stop in Kyoto?

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 04:47:58 AM
You forgot the bar in Shibuya

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 06:42:25 AM
Ah yes, although we'll struggle to fit anyone else in there

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:54 AM
hahaha we'll squeeze Lucas and Danni in

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 01:14:04 PM
happens a lot in yellowstone as well. not quite those numbers, but a significant amount of people apparently peg yellowstone as a good place to lose their life.

http://www.a1b2c3.com/suilodge/varyel1.htm

http://www.theinsider.com/news/1011547_18_Suicides_in_National_Parks_This_Year.

and just in national parks in general, i guess.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28469315/

meh. i guess maybe at least that way it's not your family who finds your body at home, eh?
cream filling for hollow victories

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 08:40:43 PM
Ok, why would you fire up a hibachi in your garage when you can off yourself in a beautiful place?

And its ecologically sound, because carnivores will clean up the mess.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 01:10:38 PM
And this justifies us eating the carnivores.
Recycling!

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 01:39:18 PM
What's the biggest carnivore/predator in the Japanese forest anyways? Some kind of big cat I guess?

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 01:44:49 PM
A sumo talking a holiday.
Quote from: FB comment
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 01:47:15 PM

Tanuki

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 03:06:34 PM

---

I don't think I could bring myself to off... myself... in a place as pretty as those mentioned here. Seems to me that being in a setting like that would convince me that there was at least some chance that life could still be worth living.

As an aside, I wonder what the percentage is of people who kill themselves who are staunch atheists vs devoutly religious people.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 03:46:31 PM
I agree. Actually natural beauty is always the strongest argument for living for me. My hell is other people. The broader word rocks.

Re: Suicide Forest Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:07 PM
I don't think I could bring myself to off... myself... in a place as pretty as those mentioned here. Seems to me that being in a setting like that would convince me that there was at least some chance that life could still be worth living.

park rangers should set up a recruitment project.