Quote from: Doormouse
That's it, sobriety. This is one Wednesday too many. I'm taking you down the fuck down..

That's a lot of oil.(Read 13435 times)
That's a lot of oil. on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:14 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126809525

70,000 barrels of oil per day spurting into the ocean.

Of course, BP "believes" there's absolutely no possible way to calculate how much oil is currently destroying the gulf...

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:06:23 AM
It's simply devastating to the people who depend on fishing, clams, shrimp and other aquatic enterprises. And it's all because Haliburton didn't install the proper shut off for the well head. They probably saved about 5 million on that decision.

And WE will pay for all of it (heed my words) and Halliburton will skate yet once again.

<edited for spelling error while TUI.>
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:02:27 PM by Tru »
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:19:41 AM
Lets start a conspiracy theory. lets say that the explosion was no accident, the result expected and that the devastation to the local inhabitants is an effort to continue the ethnic cleansing that Katrina afforded.

We will still pay for it either way.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:35:58 AM
Fuck a conspiracy theory, this shit is just awful no matter who suffers from it. Animals, fishermen, whoever. It's fucking terrible and ridiculous to think that BP will take a loss of some sort (by their standards) but will still come out of this fine and will continue to be a super-productive, super-huge corporation. This is a fuckup of a magnitude so colossal that it should sink almost any company in any business, but BP will go on just fine and then everyone will forget, and they'll eventually go back to making their "look how eco-friendly we are!" ads. Bleh.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:45 PM
* Thrash nods *
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:35:21 AM
Limbaugh asked today when we are going to go after the Sierra Club for the money to pay for the cleanup.

The.

Sierra.

Club.

From what I remember of it when I was in college, it was a bunch of chicks who liked rock climbing and the dudes who were trying to nail them. When did they become big enough to push all drilling offshore?
Skybox, right up here in section La-Di-Dah.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:32:30 AM
This is the second time I've ever heard the Sierra Club mentioned. The first time was in a Hiaasen novel; Native Tongue, I believe. In that, it was in reference to a bunch of old ladies with lots to say but that accomplished nothing. I'm almost surprised to learn that it wasn't some Hiaasen-invented group.

BTW, I opened this thread just now thinking that it was a new one. Then I realized that I'd read it and, oh, there's what I wrote at some drunken point. And my post made pretty good sense to me, which my drunken posts often don't.

Then I realized that I'm currently about as drunk as last night, and I'm up even later. FIngers crossed that anything I've posted tonight makes some kinda sense tomorrow.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:19:13 AM
I used to be a member of the Sierra Club and how the fuck are they blaming this shit on them?
Did they blow the fucker up? Because I have often advocated destruction of the global oil empire.
But I doubt they would take such an action, calculating the human toll.

Sorry, I don't watch the news.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:20:17 AM by Tru »

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:37:19 PM
It's Limbaugh. The tighty righties hold them responsible for the price of gas since they lobbied to STOP drilling on public lands, most of which became national parks. So Limbaugh, that fat fuck who is not a political commentator, he's an infotainer, thinks it's funny to ask them to pay for the clean up. On what fuckin planet is that even entertaining, much less thoughtful commentary. And Lothar why are you putting that excrement in your ears?
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:56:39 AM
My doctor told me that I have to fly into a murderous rage once a day.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:08:04 AM
imho, there won't BE any "forgetting" NOR "getting over" this.

I'm in shock over this.

MILLIONS of people are going to die over it, and it's going to be a miracle if there is ANY marine life, plant OR animal, left in the oceans of our plant.

I don't know if any of y'all might know ~ WHY were the dispersants used?  What made it a Good Idea to force this noxious SHIT to MIX with the water, instead of floating up and being siphoned out of some sort of "corral?"
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 10:07:14 AM
The reason they want to just dump chemicals is because all of the other technology is really expensive and no one has had the balls to force oil companies to plan for disaster.  Oil skimming ships, centrifuges, etc. were ignored by the oil industry and the only way they would have been built is if the government had held the oil industry's feet to the fire about having feasible plans to recover from a disaster.

Evidently, the valves like the valves that failed in this instance fail pretty frequently.  And the regulatory body that is supposed to oversee such things is so chummy with the oil industry that they often fail to inspect or supervise when it comes to the installation and maintenance of said valves.

On one hand, this won't be forgotten.  This is going to be devastating to the environment in the gulf and in coastal regions.  It's going to affect multiple generations of people and wildlife in both the gulf and in the surrounding areas.

On the other hand, this is going to be immediately forgotten.  Look at how quickly the politicians have forgotten the disaster with banking - the can't even agree to do something about extremely basic things in the banking industry that would be fraud if you or I did them, to say nothing of the larger issues that have to be addressed with respect to "too big to fail" institutions.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:14:35 PM
Well, we certainly can't hinder the free expression of Capitalism, can we?

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:07 PM
P.S. Has anyone actually seen this oil rig's birth certificate?

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:40:59 PM
Things I learned listening to NPR today:

The well had no been commissioned yet; that is to say it had not started producing. Haliburton had the contract to mud (pour concrete into the drilling tobe to form the well head. A job they obviously did very poorly because industry analysts, engineers and experts believe that it was this failure that cause the rupture and ensuing explosion. Thank you once again Dick Cheney. Of course Haliburton had a stockholders meeting yesterday and told everyone that there was no way they would be held responsible.

It is not the toxicity of the dispersants but the toxicity of what they convert the oil INTO that we need to worry about. Don't eat seafood for the rest of your life. It would be very bad.

BP has been lying all along. Examinations of the spill plumes from satellite and undersea cameras indicate that the well is not leaking 5,000 barrels per day but somewhere between 20,000 and 100,000 barrels per day. The reason BP hasn't capped the well is because it is likely to be the highest producing petroleum well ever drilled and we can't let those profits just slide away, can we? Also the sheer amount of production has them scared and confused. Allegedly.

Shrimp, crabs, and the majority of seafood that is caught in the Gulf of Mexico are spawned in the deltas and bayous and shallow estuaries of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida panhandle. These delicate ecosystems will not likely survive. The vegetation that grows there will die almost instantly. This vegetation also is a natural form of erosion control. One big storm like Katrina and the gulf coast could move inland. Up to 20 miles. The islands almost the gulf coast will be annihilated.

The surface and subsurface plumes have reached the gulf loop of the gulfstream. This could conceivably pollute every beach and destroy all marine life from Biloxi, down the gulf coast to the straits of Florida, all of Cuba and the Bahamas, all the beaches and coastal islands from Key West to Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, England, France, Spain, North Africa, etc etc etc.

Looks like 2012 came a little early...

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 09:12:14 PM
You need to stop listening to that alarmist communistical utopian radio network. Only FOX news has the TRUTH!

Eating hydrocarbon infused seafood is GOOD for you! And what's GOOD for you is GOOD for all!

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 09:52:15 PM

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 10:30:06 PM
I always thought the bit in the book of Revelations about poisoning the earth's waters was pretty terrifying when I was into reading it all of the time, with the poisoning of a third of the waters.

We've already done better than that, with runoff, heavy metals, toxic chemicals, medications, and now this ongoing disaster.  Who needs divine intervention to fulfill prophecies that say humans are dicks and destroy everything?

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 10:32:14 PM
MONEY GOOD, ECOLOGY BAD!

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 10:46:48 PM
I just applied to go down there and cleanup. Pay is ok, overtime, per diem, etc. We'll see.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:53:20 PM
Oh, Aaron!

Though I'm excited that you might be coming our way,

I'm scared shitless about you being on the "front lines!"
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:15 PM
They say that if this "next move/try" doesn't work it way be until AUGUST until they can do something when they commission ANOTHER drilling rig ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 09:09:14 PM
Re: That's a lot of oil.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 08:17:48 AM
It's hit Louisiana, and the pix aren't looking good...

You know, Exxon Valdez happened in '89, and 31 Years Later,

it's STILL not "cleaned up" NOR has the aquaculture returned to normal.

Once it's out there, there is NO getting it back,

yet it is allowed to just GUSH forth more and more death, while everyone sits around twiddling their thumbs.
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:40 AM
Seems to me they are doing exactly what was done on the rig off the WestAu coast.

"allowed to just GUSH forth"  Really ? Sounds like you know how to stop it.
Quote from: FB comment
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:45 PM
Check out the big brain on Brian! You got better ideas, let's hear them.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 12:55:10 PM
I didnt say any ideas (they have tried) so far, were good or bad. I'm just telling people this has happened recently... and this is exactly what they did.

You got a problem with that ?
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 01:19:38 PM
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:38 PM
Actually I do. Your oil company (and since it is BRITISH Petroleum with you being a subject) is destroying our country. I don't give a damn what they did in Australia. It's not working here. Do something else. Do it now. This is apparently something that BP thinks they can buy their way out of and I think they're going to find out that they are wrong.

Re: That's a lot of oil. Reply #29 on: May 22, 2010, 05:24:46 PM
1st: Was not a BP rig in WestAu. I was refering to Big Oil and what the can do about spills aint no different to what they did here.

2nd: Au is to Britian as Canada is to Britain... We (Au) just cant be fucked to sign the divorce papers.

3rd: There is no else. You gota wait it out till the drill down and tap it out.  BP has already bought it way out of it with the cap on enviro damages. 

4th: It aint BP destroying your country. It's your country destroying your country.  (that I know you know and I know you don't support)

5th: You got another 2 months of this (rough guess, id bet a bit shorter)... then we got a lifetime of shit.  Just like we will have next time it happens... and it WILL happen.