Quote from: Emperor Reagan
Future me keeps telling current me that I'll love DMT whenever I try it.
Quote from: (_)_)===D
That's just the DMT talking.

H P Lovecraft(Read 3791 times)
H P Lovecraft on: March 23, 2009, 02:37:03 PM
Since I've been playing " Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" and found a source of good quality Lovecraft movies on youtube and this resource for online stories
I have become literally addicted to this sucker.

The problem is the stark white on black text and single page format at that website makes it hard to read the stories.
So, I have installed an application that I have used before and taken the trouble to zip up the required files to share here.
The program is called TR BookShelf and is a flash based application which allows to extract all text from a text file or webpage and automatically formats it into an easy to read book format. It works freaking great and is fully customizable allowing a wide variety of book display formats and allows for personal pictures and flash apps on it's main screen as well as editing the text and adding your own media content to the book. (Not sure how to share the finished books but I bet it is possible)

It's very small,  keys into IE and adds a context menu called of course BookShelf. Click that link while on a page and all the text is extracted into an addition to the bookshelf with the same title as the webpage.

I love it. Much easier on the eyes for long texts and for saving stuff such as these short stories or articles for later reading.

I've just installed it this morning on my laptop and here is my current theme customized with my own background image and showing a couple of Lovecraft tales and some of the default books that come with the app. (they can be deleted)

I share it with all of you. This is not quite the latest version but is 100% safe and functional.
Tested and scanned myself. If you do a lot of online reading you might want to check it out.

http://www.sitesled.com/members/consist/BookShelf/BS412.zip

Install, overwrite .dll with one provided. (Revenge nfo included), enjoy.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:37:29 PM by Tru »
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:35:37 PM
I recently read At the Mountains of Madness and loved it.  I copied it off some (similar) black bg white text site and made it a .doc and it was about 88 pages.  I still have it saved if you want but it looks like you already got it there.

I haven't read anything else of his though.
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:48 PM
Pretty cool, but out of curiosity why not just buy the books?
I have a pretty rocking collection of Lovecraft's novels as well as a few by Clark Aston Smith and I'm just starting a Weird Tales collection.
I vastly prefer hard copy to etext...

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:53:42 PM
I've read a few of his stories and I liked them, though I'm not much into horror.  I love the black background with white text sites, though, because of my eyes.  Looking at a white screen for too long gives me a headache, especially when I'm reading.
No one mourns the wicked.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:16:01 PM
I wouldn't really call Lovecraft a Horror writer. He writes Weird Fiction. It's almost SF...

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:19:56 PM
I wouldn't really call Lovecraft a Horror writer. He writes Weird Fiction. It's almost SF...

Well there's that whole "Father of modern gothic horror" thing....

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:35:23 PM
Weird and horror aren't mutually exclusive, and Weird is a much more accurate descriptor.
I didn't think he even considered himself a horror writer, did he?

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:03:51 AM
>>Pretty cool, but out of curiosity why not just buy the books?<<

Because they are here for free already?

Ok yeah I am cheap. AND I wanted to share the text reader program.
Plus, I have a storage unit full of books. I don't need more of that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:23:14 AM by Tru »

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:17:23 AM
It's cool. I'm cheap too, I just can't stand hunkering over my computer screen to read a book. On the other hand my brother loves it so who knows. Maybe I haven't given it a fair chance.

My collection is all $1 books from the giant used room at my local B&N. It's taken 4-5 years of fairly regular combing to get what I have and there are some clear and gaping holes in my collection. I prefer older books like this. I can't stand books where the cover is a screenshot from the recent film they made. It screams tackiness.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:43:02 AM
Why do you want so many books? Ever had to move?

They are so mass produced that unless a first edition are basically worthless.
But the stories are always priceless if you have the room, but now most are free in eBook format. That is what I now embrace.

Save the trees man!

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 01:49:43 AM
I am saving the trees. I buy used.
I'm not looking to get rich on the books. I've found a few good quality first editions and a few books signed by the authors, but I'm keeping those.

But yeah moving is a bitch. I've got the majority of my books back in storage at my folks place currently. They are quite ready to get rid of that crap and turn my old room into a guest room. I'm happy to once I get the fuck out of school. I've offered to move my books to a storage unit, but they think that's a waste of money.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:35:36 AM
Man, I really loved his novel "The Dunwich Weird Fiction."

Wakka wakka wakka!
Skybox, right up here in section La-Di-Dah.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:24 AM
His works do have a timeless nature to them don't they?

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 07:01:42 AM
I download ebooks because I'm fucking broke.  end of story.  And not that many, anyway.  I don't read as much as I used to, for some reason.  Last actual book I bought was "Don't Kiss Them Goodbye" by Allison Dubois, and that was shit, at least three years ago. 

What I want is a kindle, that would be perfect for me.  I like ebooks just because I'm a nerd and I think it's neat.  Plus those things get free fucking wireless internet, man.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:30 AM
Man, I really loved his novel "The Dunwich Weird Fiction."

I'm left with two possibilities.
A) None of you guys have read much Horror
or
B) I'm posting into a time portal and you're all living in the 1920s.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:24:10 PM
1920's !

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:07 AM
Look at the economics... its 1929!

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 07:19:58 AM
I can't stand books where the cover is a screenshot from the recent film they made. It screams tackiness.

I NEVER buy a book with a screenshot on the cover.
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: H P Lovecraft Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 05:07:16 PM
Look at the economics... its 1929!
Dude. I just got a shiver...