Quote from: Zoomie
FIFTEEN YARD PENALTY FOR OVERSHARING! STILL FIRST DOWN!

Predicta(Read 6351 times)
Predicta on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:41 AM
Hey I have this TV and was wondering what it might be worth. I guess it's the holiday model but it's buried right now so I cant check. But The cabinet is blond wood grain in decent condition. It's 100% original with all of the original tubes but to be honest I have never plugged in it. It might be missing one knob but it's been about ten years since I've even seen it so I'm not sure.

I don't think they are worth a lot of money so I was wondering what would be the best way to go, restore it or re-purpose it as a super computer hub.

It's the exact same model as depicted in this fotofax

Ok eBay may be blocking that one but it looks like this.

It was owned by a neighbor 30 years ago and I got it from her before she passed away. Her and her husband had bought it new and she had it in her house right up until near to the end. But I'm not sure about the year of purchase. Need to dig it out and take notice of the data plates. I think it's about 1959 but that's just a guess right now. It has a little rust on the brass plated parts because she had plants all around it the whole time and needs new rubber shoes but that is minor.

Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Predicta Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:55:10 AM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: Predicta Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:25:07 PM
Fuck me, that thing is cool.
Quote from: FB comment
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: Predicta Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:49 PM
I think this one has to be the coolest of the lot from back then.

It's called the Chalet.

These were pretty good size tubes for back then too, 24" diagonal.

Re: Predicta Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:32 PM
This one is missing the front xray protective lens but he only wants $50 as a starting bid! Lowest priced one I've ever seen. 0 bids so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Philco-Predicta-Television-TV-/130581591768?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e6744f6d8

There is another one in about the same condition as mine with a current bid of only $355. Like I mentioned not really as valuable as one might expect but still like you said, they are cool.

I would actually like to see it working again, but it could be made much more functional with new modern guts and a nice crisp new color picture tube, that is if keeping it all original isn't really worth the effort.

Re: Predicta Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 04:11:56 AM

Re: Predicta Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:17:33 AM
I would actually like to see it working again, but it could be made much more functional with new modern guts and a nice crisp new color picture tube, that is if keeping it all original isn't really worth the effort.

It'd have to be converted to digital ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Predicta Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 03:49:32 AM
Only the signal would have to be converted.  That just a $10 box.

Hardest thing would be finding a new screen/tube that does not fuck up the sweet lines the thing has.

Then again, maybe the people making the new ones could help. http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml
Quote from: FB comment
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: Predicta Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:43 PM
oh shit.. that is super mega fucking awesome.. someday i will own cool shit like that.

Re: Predicta Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:05:50 AM
Wow, I want one; fuck the rumored Apple iTV.

Re: Predicta Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 04:53:21 PM
Restored and digitized and it'd be a really cool thing to own ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Predicta Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 05:04:50 PM
All the parts for a modern monitor would fit in just the enclosure around the Picture tube. If you only wanted it to look like it works that would be an easy way to go, drive it with a dedicated PC. Gutting the base and putting modern components in would also be pretty easy, could fit a complete PC mother board/w digital tuner in there with plenty room left over. 

But finding a compatible picture tube that matched the contours of the enclosure, as someone mentioned, would be the hard part. If I did convert it I would want to do it in a way that leaves the original case completely unchanged and all the removed parts I would package up and hang onto. That way it could still be brought back to original condition at any time with little trouble.

Re: Predicta Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:06:33 PM
I can see that ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Predicta Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
I also have an old fan similar to this one.

1950s Westinghouse Lively Aire Desk Fan (video)

Except mine is an earlier model and has a metal fan blade. It's in great shape. Hasn't been cleaned in over 40 years for sure. But I did have to open it up recently to clean and oil the bushings. I've been using it quite a lot because my PC case is less than optimal on thermal management. Case side off, fan on one side of the desk and PC on the other. When it gets a little hotter I'll put it on oscillate and it will take turns cooling me and the PC at the same time.

I know it's entire history, it was bought new in 1949. By a couple that had just moved here from texas.  It has decades of dirt glaze on the outside but no corrosion, inside is solid. No slop in the bushings or worm gear at all, cords are in good shape as well. I bet it would clean up really nice. But I'll wait on that. 

Nice unit, built to last.

The reason for the post is I found several of these online for as little as $20 bucks. Some of them are listed in the hundreds but a surprising number are available for less than a modern cheap ass fan would sell for.

Hard to believe something that has lasted over 60 years and still functions perfectly could be worth less than a department store fan designed to be thrown out in just a few short years.

Re: Predicta Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 08:36:03 PM
My fans blade is like this one. With the rib in the center, not on the edge.

This one is actually offered in the hundreds I think, but that blue paint job cannot possibly be original.

Re: Predicta Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:59 PM
My dad has a small 1940-something space heater that still works alright, and uses hardly any electricity. Pretty cool.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: Predicta Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 06:57:37 PM
I have a 1950's 200w radiant heater It originally had a brushed aluminum housing to focus the heat. I transplanted the original core into a larger polished stainless steal bowl. It really upped the perceived output. I mounted it on an articulated arm so I could position it as I pleased above the bed.

That was pretty much all I used last winter. 

Re: Predicta Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:34 PM
I have two oil filled radiant heaters and they work great ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')