Quote from: underclass
Quote from: Zoomie
She exfoliates her soles and heels daily. You know what I like.
yeah, you like fat bitches with soft, berry-scented feet

Peak OIL!(Read 5119 times)
Peak OIL! on: April 01, 2009, 09:35:05 PM
Lest anyone forget with the noise over the global economy and temporary drop in US gas prices, there's still peak oil to think about!

I've been watching this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0776794/ while I've been dicking around online tonight.  It's a pretty good documentary...they give a fairly solid introduction to the topic.

If the pessimiists are right about the time when oil peaks, we're going to hit a new financial crisis due to the peak oil phenomena before we ever "recover" from this one.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:21 PM
Peak oil, schmeek oil.

It's either bound to happen some day, or oil is actually made rapidly by the Earth and / or microbes and will keep pumping forever. That's what the Russians think.
Go to these sites, and don't forget to tell your friends!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:09 PM
I remember when I watched I Am Legend in the theater, the scariest part of the movie (by audience reaction) wasn't when Will Smith was being terrorized by vampires, it was when he walked past the abandoned gas station in the deserted metropolis and the price of gas on the display read like 9.85$/gallon.  The entire audience gasped in sheer terror.

My conclusion is that hypothetically, people are more afraid of 9$ a gallon gasoline than being ripped to shreds by vampires.

Where did you watch this documentary?  Is it free somewhere?  Is it out on video?
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:56:22 PM
The entire audience gasped in sheer terror.

You were a member of the audience!
Like yours.  Only different.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:01:49 PM

Not only that but I was the member of an almost all black audience in a theater near Detroit.

Friends, trust me when I tell you this, do not ever go see a Will Smith movie with a bunch of black people.

"OH HELL NAW, RUN NIGGA RUN.  GET THAT FUCKIN VAMPIYA, FUCK DAT SHIT SMOKE DAT MOTHAFUCKA"

People yelled these things during the movie.
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:07:36 PM
Netflix has tons of documentaries I've wanted to see on their streaming service, so I figured I'd get it for a little while.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:34:54 PM
Well this is a different one but might be interesting.

Peak Oil - 45min. documentary
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:18:52 AM

Not only that but I was the member of an almost all black audience in a theater near Detroit.

Friends, trust me when I tell you this, do not ever go see a Will Smith movie with a bunch of black people.

"OH HELL NAW, RUN NIGGA RUN.  GET THAT FUCKIN VAMPIYA, FUCK DAT SHIT SMOKE DAT MOTHAFUCKA"

People yelled these things during the movie.

Fuck, now I wanna see a Will Smith movie in a cinema full of our dark bretheren.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 05:20:29 PM
Peak oil, schmeek oil.

It's either bound to happen some day, or oil is actually made rapidly by the Earth and / or microbes and will keep pumping forever. That's what the Russians think.

What, I've never heard this.  That's crazy, right?
No one mourns the wicked.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 05:30:55 PM
Oil is created by God for man to have dominion over. Everyone knows that.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:35:56 PM
Peak oil, schmeek oil.

I actually sort of agree with everything but what the Russians think. 

I like talking about peak oil, the collapse of financial bubbles, global warming, etc.  But human societies seem to be pretty adept at ignoring such things until it's too late to really do anything except cobble together some half-assed damage control.  The best you have to hope for is that you can say I told you so to a couple of people, disappear, and nobody finds your cave.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:52 AM
That's the plan.

It's entirely likely that we've already seen peak oil, but since nobody knows how much oil the Saudis are sitting on but the Saudis, who the fuck really has any idea?

Still, peak oil will really make the shit hit the fan. Say goodbye to fertilizers, plastics, and food baby!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 12:37:02 AM
petro-plastics can be replaced by bio-plastics.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:26:39 AM
Or maybe even amorphous steel if they ever perfect it.
No one mourns the wicked.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 08:11:51 AM
Losing plastics would suck, but you can live without plastic.

Losing fertilizer is a pretty big deal.  The modern boom in farming is in no small part fueled by petro chemicals. 

Really, the biggest deal is that there's no truly feasible replacement for gasoline in cars right now and no serious effort to do things like electrify rail, invest in public transit, etc.  The US is way more fucked than the rest of the wealthy countries on that front.  Espcially since we did brilliant things like develop tons of prime farmland in the vicinity of population centers: expensive transportation + much more expensive food & potential shortages = suck.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 10:02:57 AM
You guys flippantly suggesting alternatives to plastics don't get it. Peak oil in a nutshell doesn't mean that oil is gone, it means that cheap oil is gone. There's still oil but it gets more and more expensive to pump it, the easy to get stuff has been all used up.

Now, since many fertilizers are petro-chemical based let's investigate what happens. Fertilizer becomes more expensive,  guess what else is more expensive? Fuel. What runs on fuel? Farm machinery. Forget about Bio Diesel, because the fertilizer costs a whole lot more now, remember? Bio Diesel is now some expensive shit. Okay, so we have our new expensive crop and what do we have to do? Ship it. More expensive fuel costs. Okay, now that we've got it to a distributor now what? Oh, that's right! We have to package it! What kind of packaging do we use? Plastics! Which are now also a lot more expensive to manufacture  :-\ and remember, bio-plastics aren't a really viable alternative because they're now super expensive to manufacture because fertilizer costs so much more.

The whole plastics thing is a pretty big deal. Look around you and take note of how much of the shit around you is plastic and how much more those things would cost to have them manufactured (and shipped!) out of alternative materials.

Really, peak oil is pretty much a downhill ride into doomsday. I don't think America and the world could adjust fast enough once people finally wake up to the problem. Look at what's been going on with the US economy for the last eight years and the whole time pretty much every publication was filled with denials of a growing recession from all kinds of economists. I mean, how does that happen when every blue collar person around was fully aware that things were on a downslide?

If you think Peak Oil is a joke just look at what happened after only a few months of $4.00 per gallon gas prices. I really don't think it was a coincidence that the world's economy exploded after a year or two of more and more outrageous oil prices.

Personally, I hope the Russians are right.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 10:18:23 AM
You guys flippantly suggesting alternatives to plastics don't get it.

If you think Peak Oil is a joke....

Everything's funny when there's death involved.

I get it, krsna.  I just think that (unlike DRM) this is a topic that talking can't do much about.  Talking about how much oil is in the ground and how we're up shit creek when it runs out won't put more oil there.

And I think you're disregarding alternative fuels and alternative energy significantly.  Right now, farmers use diesel in their tractors because it's cheap and readily available.  If those same farmers could run their machinery off of battery banks and wind/hydro/geotherm and have it be cheaper than oil diesel, I can guarantee (my uncle is a crop-grower and we've discussed this) that a lot of them would rather have something they can maintain themselves.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 10:24:56 AM
I agree with your point that discussing isn't going to really change things, and I'm sure that farmers wouldn't mind having a cheaper more self reliable way to run their farm but that still wouldn't affect the whole debaucle. It's like cutting a cancerous breast after the shit's spread to the rest of the body. 
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:45 AM
Does this mean I can get the sharpened pikes and flaming torches out?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:27:39 AM by Mosh »

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 01:07:58 PM
>> Really, peak oil is pretty much a downhill ride into doomsday. <<

Not if we ... err ... I mean THEY implement extensive global population reduction measures in the near future.
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 05:03:26 PM
Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

I used to belong to that...

Then they found out I'd fathered three children. That I know of.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 09:01:52 PM
I could join, I havent fathered anyone.

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 09:12:54 PM
but... DO YOU BELIEVE???
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:30 PM
Oh hell, why not?

Re: Peak OIL! Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 06:11:59 AM
No plastic = consuming less garbage.

I don't have a problem with it, though people used to paying $2 for a tupperware bin vs. $100 for a decent foot locker might.