Quote from: Wozzeck
Kyle continues to act out the world's most illegal impersonation of Mr. Rogers.

Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook?(Read 4663 times)
From Clark.com:
(Follow This For Original Article)
While the software may not be able to fix all of an old machine’s problems, it’s a great way to bring to an old laptop back to life and at least make it usable again without having to pay for new hardware or an expensive repair.

Neverware has a long list of models that the company has already successfully tested the software on — but even if your laptop isn’t on there, it’s still worth a try since it’s free!

Important note: You should back up anything on your old laptop that you don’t want to lose before installing the software.

How to install the software on an old laptop
On a newer computer, download the software from Neverware’s site onto a USB drive (needs at least 8 GB of storage space).
Go to the Google Chrome store and download the Chromebook Recovery Utility. Once it’s downloaded, open the program –> click the gear icon –> choose ‘use local image’ –> select the .zip file you already downloaded on the external USB drive.
Plug the USB into the old laptop and boot it up from the USB. Here are directions on how to do that.
Click on the system tray (or menu bar) and click ‘Install CloudReady.’ The software will take you through a setup process and will give you the option to erase the hard drive and start fresh (as a Chromebook) or keep your old data and operating system on the computer.
When the installation process is complete, the computer will shut down automatically. Remove the USB and turn the laptop back on.

NeverWare's Site:
https://www.neverware.com/
Image Download (Home Version Is Free):
https://www.neverware.com/freedownload
64Bit Version - 32Bit Version - USB Installer Maker
ChromeBook Recovery Utility:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromebook-recovery-utili/jndclpdbaamdhonoechobihbbiimdgai?hl=en
More Directions:
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-drive-or-cd-on-any-computer-5991848
MAC (Computer) Installation Guide:
https://guide.neverware.com/critical-requirements/

EDIT - Thrash: Updated With 32Bit Link
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:49:20 PM by Thrash »
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

I haven't used the laptop much in the past couple of years but then my main PC had a stroke and I had to replace the hard drive and OS. So I was using the laptop for a while while getting the desktop in order. Somehow I fucked up firefox and lost my profile. I tried to get it back by doing a system restore to a few days before. This almost worked but not quite. I still lost all my old links and shit, and when I tried to install Flash again it said I had to close firefox, but the installer kept telling me to close firefox even though the task manager showed no signs of firefox being loaded. Well after aborting the installation and restarting firefox instead of opening it popped up a notice saying please wait while we update firefox. Once it did start again I ended up with Quantum and still no links.

I doubt this software would have helped. Other than being stuck with Quantum it works pretty well. It's just too slow to do a lot because it's really old.  And the Microsoft browser is pure crap.

Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Have you tried Puppy Linux?
I keep XenialPup on a 4-6GB partition on my laptops just in case ...
(and I keep it on a PenDrive with me at all times as well) ...

It's small, fast, looks and runs great, has the drivers built-in for MOST "legacy" laptops/hardware ...
And it's Ubuntu/Debian based with a decent repository on its own ...
It will also run MOST .DEB installs ...

I dig it ....
http://Http://www.PuppyLinux.Com
And
http://Http://www.PuppyLinux.Org

(For a slight reference:
If you ever need ROOT access in Puppy (It's not really necessary) use
Username: root
Password: woofwoof or WoofWoof)
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

That sounds pretty interesting.

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:59:09 AM
It's actually pretty cool ...
I'm trying to DualBoot the new version ...

They have disabled DualBoot in versons above 56 ...
It's at 72 (stable) now ...

I'll find a way ...

But, it looks and runs really well ....
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 03:44:28 AM
You know depending on your flexibility this could be booted from a USB expansion drive SSD or otherwise.
Would still need to select the boot source in the boot screen, or most likely in my case from the actual bios.
Now that is a significant hassle to switch OS's.

But I was wondering, since my machine is pretty old if the placement of the data cables has an effect on boot sequence? You remember a just a few years ago we had to deal with jumpers either on the drive itself or the MB to select Master and Slave.
Do you think I have a data cable selected as master by the system? Would it be marked somehow? Seems unlikely but so does the current situation.

All my old drives are completely accessible now including the new SSD, and anything I plug in. I'm afraid to actually use it for fear of fucking up the Win 10 Pro that is on it and completely boot-able. (sans the old drives at this point) bios may make this booting selection more reliable but haven been there yet.

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:36:40 AM
Sata isn't cable specific ...
Pata is ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 09:38:10 AM
Oh, and you can dualboot it that way ...
I'm trying to figure out how to do it with a single, multipartition drive ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:36:54 PM
Yep looking at dual boot options, besides the built in boot sequence.
So here is an update, my PC froze up recently and when I did the reset it tried to boot into my old system but started the "windows has encountered a problem and will restart" bullshit again. After a couple tries I just told it to boot from the SSD and this time it did! So right now I'm back in w10p. But I need to find a fix for this. W10 with Quantum are not a good fit for me. Nice OS as a backup but not my cup of tea. 

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 07:19:18 PM
Find either a bootloader or a grub fixer  ....

But, I like it ...
Only issue us that it makes, like, 10 or so partitions ...
... why; I've no idea
I've got it on a 32GB USB stick and it's cool ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 07:32:44 AM
You have the entire os on a stick? Does that make booting interesting?

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:16:19 PM
It doesn't release the full featured unless you "open them" in that case ....
Even though it's on a USB, it's still pretty fast on it ....
I would think it'd be pretty screaming of a system on a SSD drive ...

But it's quite interesting .... I'm liking it ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

After I returned from the hospital my lap top halts with a message it needs to be repaired with the installation media because some of the boot files are missing. This is looking more interesting.

I've been fucking with it a little more ...
I rather like it, actually ....
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

I tried doing the repair with the original installation media but that didn't work, said it did! But didn't so it has a fresh install of W10 now and is basically a blank slate. Once I get this and all the associated files downloaded I'll give it a try.

Hey Thrash, both of the Puppy Linux links seem to be defective. I'll do a google search, or the prob may be with the syntax you have them listed as.

https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/64/release-xenialpup64-7.5.htm

It's also small enough that I can throw it on a distro, on a share site, or just give you a link to one of my direct downloads in one of my drives ...

I've also been fucking with lxle desktop Linux and it's a little Fuller and it's about 1.5 (or so) gigs of download, but I'm really liking it to for a very lightweight desktop for Linux ...

http://www.lxle.net/

I have a netbook that I have dual booted both of them with a Windows 10 lite install as well so I can Putin all three and I'm actually thinking that for any computer that I have I will use the Puppy Xennial Linux as a half a gig partition just in case anything happens because I can do whatever I need to through it ...(It's a 300mb download) ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Well I installed the KSM hack for windows 10 on my laptop so I can modify the screen incons and such but haven't checked out the Puppy Linux yet. I will soon.
But I just bought this ...

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Legacy-Mini-Computer-Desktop/dp/B07PGC2KSP/ref=sr_1_38?crid=14N8QLVX40MFL&keywords=gaming+computer&qid=1556209925&s=electronics&sprefix=ga%2Celectronics%2C246&sr=1-38

I'm down to 128 lbs and figure I don't have long left so I decided I want to play all the games I've been denied access to in my final days.

Let me know what you think about this machine.  I already bought it so you know. Should arrive May 1st.

Jezuz ...
Way to trade up, mate ...

My brother just bought something similar ...
His is only 16GB RAM ...
We just bought him another 16 fairly cheap ....

So far, it's a pretty kickin'-chikkin ....
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Yeah I still have to get a Displayport to HDMI cable before I can use it with my monitor.
It even has a little wireless remote to control the lighting, and it came with a lighted gaming keyboard and mouse.
I didn't know about those touches when I ordered it
I had already bought a gaming keyboard and mouse for my old machine, but I actually like the new ones better.
I might like the other keyboard, it depends on how distracting the back lighting is. But I like the keys on the new better.

The one I have (haven't used it yet) has lighted symbols on the keys but very little light splash from under the keys.
I may decide I like that one better.

He's was fancy too, however. It stopped working after a week (the kb) ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 04:47:25 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 09:39:13 PM
Google is eating up everything!

I wore out both of my lighted kb's, now I'm using a Cyberpower I got from the thrift store, it doesn't light up but at least the fucking letters don't wear off. The other kb's still work.

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 12:32:27 AM
I can't wait to see how they fuck it over ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 02:16:42 PM
As of today (02/18/21), the download files (USB installer or image):
https://www.neverware.com/freedownload#home-edition-install
The Install Guide (To begin prep/build the installer):
https://guide.neverware.com/build-installer/working-windows/#before-you-begin
Install And Setup:
https://guide.neverware.com/install-and-setup/boot-usb/
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 07:25:21 PM
This is the google thing right? Let me know how it turns out.

Re: Need A New Laptop; Or Are Thinking About Going With A ChromeBook? Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 10:01:03 AM
Once I fix/replace my crashed home server, I'm going to take one of the NetBooks I use for it and convert it ....
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')