Quote from: underclass
Quote from: Zoomie
She exfoliates her soles and heels daily. You know what I like.
yeah, you like fat bitches with soft, berry-scented feet

Sake(Read 8800 times)
Sake on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:13 AM
Went out for sushi last night and wound up at the bottom of a bottle of sake.
I'd like to point out that I never could understand the point of sake before, but I get it now.
It's the liquid courage needed to try some of the really wild items on the menu.
I had anago, tako, ika, and even the dreaded uni roll.

I also think sake grows on a person like beer. It's hard to remember back so far to a time before I'd acquired the taste for beer, but as a pure flavor there really isn't much more going for it than sake. I mean I was instantly taken by the flavor of a good bourbon, but thinking back, beer did take some getting used to. I had rejected sake out of hand because it didn't appeal to me immediately but I was wrong. It's a quality beverage.

I still haven't gotten to the point where I'll drink it warmed up, but from what I hear this is the proper method.

Re: Sake Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:52 PM
You don't need sake to try sushi, you need balls.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Sake Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:37:31 AM
That's for Fugu... Sake goes well with sushi.

What goes better is potato and green tea.

Re: Sake Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:17:32 AM
I decided the other night that I'm going Sake-guru. I love the stuff. I'm going to bike all over the country and go to random breweries. I'll also make my own umeshu shortly.
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Sake Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:59:52 AM
Video tape it and sell it to the BBC... they love that sort of shit.

Re: Sake Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:25:35 AM
yeah. just gotta not mix up the tapes this time
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Sake Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:37:55 AM
after seeing this post I rummaged through my stash of unopened bottles and I'm sipping my way though a very light, dry number from Hokkaido. I think it would go nicely with something delicate like Sashimi because it leaves no aftertaste at all.

I could get used to this new hobby!

Re: Sake Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:36:58 AM
I went out and bought a flagon of dry sake from way up north. Some random village or something. It's really light and easy to drink, and twice the volume for half the price of wine too

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:37:42 AM by underclass »

Re: Sake Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:56:30 PM
I think if I lived in Japan I'd have a very hard time NOT eating sushi/sashimi constantly. That goes for sake too.

BTW, I dunno how anyone can prefer cold sake to warm. Cold sake is drinkable but warm is so much better.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: Sake Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:14 PM
yeah, I warm it up too.

The maker usually recommends one way or the other. Last night I was heating it to about 45 deg... was good.

And yup, the food here is awesome

Re: Sake Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 03:28:33 AM
Warm sake makes me shudder. It's too creepily close to the punishment shot from my early college days: hot vodka. Gag.

Re: Sake Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 09:47:45 AM
The pictured bottle is good, I'm working my way through it. I should be ready for another one by this weekend and will add more pics!

Re: Sake Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:23 AM

And here it is, this one comes from Niigata, on the opposite side of Honshu from Tokyo. Good region for skiing, rice, fish, and of course sake. It's a little stronger then the others I've been trying but still very good. Sometimes it's good to get a bit of extra flavor, just like with wine. Outside right now it's snowing and really cold so a hot sake is really going down well.

Re: Sake Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 07:26:52 AM

This is the next adventure, my friend bought it from is village where a local guy makes it and what a change! The last ones where mass-made adventures, dry, easy to drink and all quite similar. This is comparable to drinking local wine in Spain. The colour is a little cloudier, and the body a bit heavier. There is a distinct sweetness that was not there with the earlier drinks and the overall flavor is fuller and has a rough edge. I'm thinking about each mouthful, rather than drinking smoothly and quickly. After a glass I went out and got some salty snacks like salami and dried squid and it really compliments it well.

For an unrelated reason I'll be going to the region where this is made in May, hopefully I can find others because I really like this.

Re: Sake Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:46:39 AM
this is seriously hard work, as opposed to being an easy drink I have to think about each mouthful and appreciate it's volume.

OK, back to the bottle

Re: Sake Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:40:02 PM
I always think it's a good idea to eat like two plates of sushi.

Then I'm like, yo brb I need to piss out of my ass.
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: Sake Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:47 PM
Only ever drank one small bottle of Saki but I can relate to the courage boost of alcohol for trying menu items.

Anyone else like those big dried shrimp with the big black eyes?
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Sake Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:48 PM
This is the next adventure, my friend bought it from is village where a local guy makes it and what a change! The last ones where mass-made adventures, dry, easy to drink and all quite similar. This is comparable to drinking local wine in Spain. The colour is a little cloudier, and the body a bit heavier. There is a distinct sweetness that was not there with the earlier drinks and the overall flavor is fuller and has a rough edge. I'm thinking about each mouthful, rather than drinking smoothly and quickly. After a glass I went out and got some salty snacks like salami and dried squid and it really compliments it well.

Sounds delicious.

Except for the squid.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: Sake Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 03:57:45 PM
I've never tried Sake. I'll have to change that.
Go to these sites, and don't forget to tell your friends!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Sake Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 05:15:01 PM
Sake is great if the cook at your local hibachi table doesn't get annoyed at you drunkenly yelling BONSAIIIIIII every couple of minutes.
Skybox, right up here in section La-Di-Dah.

Re: Sake Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:57 PM

I prefer cold, unfiltered sake to hot, filtered sake.
Like yours.  Only different.

Re: Sake Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 04:43:19 AM
Pity, I'm not going to Japan first.. I would have brought you a small bottle.

Re: Sake Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 04:46:13 AM
Sake = tiny restraunt under a railway bridge in Shinshima.

Re: Sake Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34:18 AM
It also means a lazy evening at home on a Friday. Here is my latest

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:36:23 AM by underclass »

Re: Sake Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 05:56:41 PM
I'm not much of a sake fan. If I go on this Japan trip though I have a feeling that I'll have to learn to like it.
you treat me like a monologue ho

Re: Sake Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 07:32:23 PM
BONSAIIIIIIIII
Skybox, right up here in section La-Di-Dah.

Re: Sake Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 08:09:50 PM
it's one of the few drinks that you can't sweeten with anything

I emptied that flagon last night, passed out on the couch, wife thinks I'm an idiot

Re: Sake Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 12:13:48 AM
about time she caught up with the rest of us

ZING!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Sake Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 12:23:54 AM
it's one of the few drinks that you can't sweeten with anything

I emptied that flagon last night, passed out on the couch, wife thinks I'm an idiot

I shudder to think what that might have looked like in the cold light of day...

Re: Sake Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:58 AM
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com