Quote from: BURNaMERICA
Quote from: bagman
If I go without blowing for two weeks, without fail I will wake up with my boxers stuck to my leg. Some sort of automatic expulsion time limit.
Was 'blowing' really the word you were looking for? Nevermind, of course it was...

Article about what is happening in the economy(Read 9769 times)
Article about what is happening in the economy on: February 18, 2009, 03:30:11 AM
I'm not sure how many people are this interested in the goings on with 'le recession but this is an interesting look forward.

http://www.financialsense.com/Market/pretti/2009/0213.html
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:54:55 AM
Now is the time to borrow like buggery... take the banks for every cent they have...

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11:12 PM
YEah I heard someone or some group in Asia was buying up billions and billions of $USD the other day. Scared the shit out of some friends in the biz. Another sign of the apocalypse.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:07:00 AM
CNN this morning was talking about some leaked article showing how we're basically fucked economically for at least the next year, and probably for a couple of years afterward.

Never been more glad that I'm dirt fucking broke.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:31:12 AM
Try about 10 years. Governments are throwing money at a highly leveraged shit pit.
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:16 AM
I be glad I paid off this shack a few years ago.

No one can take it from me now!

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:34:09 AM
Yeah, My uncle died a few months back and I moved out of my apartment and into his house, which was my grandmother's old house, paid off way back sometime in the 60's probably.  My dad wanted someone to live in it to make sure it didn't turn into a crack den, because it's right across from the city park.

But it's bought and paid for and hey, free rent!

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 05:36:38 AM
You're still in Carthage? Is it big enough to have a crack den?

(I have this image of the town you live in as being fairly small, so if I dont have the scale right, sorry).

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:13 PM
It's small, but big enough to have a small drug problem.  Carthage is really one of those middle-size city-towns with six or seven thousand people in it, and probably a couple thousand more in the rural communities surrounding it like where I grew up.

Ninja edit: We actually have a Wal-Mart and most of the major fast food chains, and rumors of a Super Wal-Mart coming sometime in the next couple of years.

And as for the drug thing, back in the mid-late 90's, this area of East Texas used to practically be the meth supplier to the rest of the US, because there are so many backwoods places to hide a makeshift meth lab that still have generally easy access to Highway 59, which is still the big Houston-Texarkana coke route (and was coincidentally Bonnie and Clyde's old stomping grounds).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:15:42 PM by Profaust »

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 08:13:10 PM
sounds like where I grew up... and left fucking promptly.

Ian's been to my hood, not a bad spot if you're into nice houses, gardens and schools, beaches and golf courses nearby... ok it was pretty sweet and Tokyo's filthy and freezing cold right now

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 08:18:11 PM
Yeah but Tokyo has all those neat looking giant digital window display things like you see in the movies and samurai and mothra and all that shit which must make up for it.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:23:07 PM
true, the samurai everywhere is a plus

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:57:11 PM
Tokyo has Akihabara.

That's all it needs!

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:29 PM
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:05 PM
After spending 5 years feeling like I'd missed the investment boat by being born 10 years too late this is Christmas. The old rules will apply again, assets will be cheap.... and then, because mankind never learns, a bubble will rise again.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 10:10:05 AM
After spending 5 years feeling like I'd missed the investment boat by being born 10 years too late this is Christmas. The old rules will apply again, assets will be cheap.... and then, because mankind never learns, a bubble will rise again.

after the economy tanked I told you to SHUT YOUR FUCKING CUM RECEPTACLE

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:39 PM
There were a couple of good episodes on the topic on This American Life.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 11:22:03 PM
My stocks: -32% (since mid-last year)
My 401K: -52% (since a year ago)

Is this Millionaire in the Making material?

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 06:44:08 AM
yes... because when it comes back, it'll come back with a vengence.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 11:12:33 AM
I think now isn't the time to diversify.... pick your bet, pick your time and focus on that. Buying a bit each week of a dying economy isn't going to hep you, it will just hold you back

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 02:42:40 PM
You guys realize this entire "financial meltdown" is a big fucking scam right? Oh it's somewhat real for common investors and the US public but is in no way "unplanned."

Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 03:15:59 PM
Yeah Bush planned to end on the lowest note he could because that way at least he'd be famous for something. This was actually a plot cooked up by his parents, the Obama administration and Alcoa.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 07:15:08 PM
You guys realize this entire "financial meltdown" is a big fucking scam right? Oh it's somewhat real for common investors and the US public but is in no way "unplanned."

I agree with this statement. Same thing was done to the Japanese in the late 1980's early 1990's. Its time to show the Chinese and Indians the benefits of a real recession. The value hasnt been lost, the pricing of that value has changed.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 01:03:55 AM
>>Yeah Bush planned to end on the lowest note he could because that way at least he'd be famous for something. This was actually a plot cooked up by his parents, the Obama administration and Alcoa.<<

How interesting that you should mention Alcoa. There remains much much more of that story to be uncovered.
Obama is historically irrelevant,  Alcoa corp was fundamental in installing supporting and enabling Hitler.

Does that mean the past current bush was involved in conspiring to create WWII?  I doubt that,  but the bush family ... hell yeah.
It doesn't matter how many died in that war or those since, those who promoted them have profited immensely.
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 02:35:42 AM
I pretty much agree with this guy:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/29598949

Hopefully we are out of the recession by the time I finish my masters at the end of 2010.  If not, back in the oven for a PhD.
Pour the wine, hold the grind, quarter to nine, let's go.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 07:57:48 AM
Again, thank Clinton for removing the banking restrictions.

Happily, the collapse of oil prices may have saved the US.  One of the core underpinnings of all macroeconomics is that the US dollar will remain stable.  Literally every other calculation depends on it.  If the US dollar was inviolate, then we would be looking into the abyss.  And for a while it seemed that was the case.  When our pussy Canadian dollar was worth 1.10 US (and those were fine times) there were real rumblings that oil, among other things, would be priced in the Euro, which would have been disastrous for the US dollar long term but the collapse of oil has sort of scared people off from making that move.

I doubt this recession will last long.  What is happening in the manufacture sector is long overdue, and while I feel for the guys on the assembly lines in Detroit, they should have known this was coming - its been obvious since the eighties.  The fact that Ford was able to do a rapid restructure and avoid the real mauling indicates that this mess in at least somewhat quantifiable.

Anyway, invest in green technology.  Untapped items that are only held back by the lack of economy of scale is always a good place to dump your money in a financial crisis since they usually lead the way out if it again.  Military equipment in the 1940s and internet junk in the nineites.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 08:25:02 AM
It was great to see the South Pacific Peso at near parity with the US dollar, but since we cant sell dirt to China anymore, it's fallen like a stone back to more usual levels.

*sigh*

I should have bought a shitload of US dollars and stashed in my mattress.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:26 PM
I got plenty you can have. We use them as toilet paper these days. Cheaper than the real thing...
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 02:25:19 PM
I FELT LIKE I WAS GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS WHEN GAS WAS $4.00 A GALLON, BUT I AM GLAD IT SPED UP THE COLLAPSE OF THE FUCKED UP ECONOMY. I HOPE EVERY SCUMBAG PIECE OF SHIT GETS KICKED OUT OF THEIR MCMANSION THEY COULDNT AFFORD AND THEY LOSE THEIR CHEVY AVALANCHE "SHIT KICKING" CARS ALONG WITH THEIR ESCELADES AND BMWS.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOME PRICES PLUMMET EVEN MORE. THE ONLY THING THAT PISSES ME OFF ABOUT THE WHOLE THING IS THAT THE BANKS ARE GETTING EVEN FATTER. WE NEED TO BURN THE FUCKERS DOWN AND ROUTINE ASSASINATIONS OF CROOKED CEOS NEED TO BEGIN IMMEDIATELY.

Re: Article about what is happening in the economy Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 04:17:05 PM
I FELT LIKE I WAS GETTING FUCKED IN THE ASS WHEN GAS WAS $4.00 A GALLON, BUT I AM GLAD IT SPED UP THE COLLAPSE OF THE FUCKED UP ECONOMY. I HOPE EVERY SCUMBAG PIECE OF SHIT GETS KICKED OUT OF THEIR MCMANSION THEY COULDNT AFFORD AND THEY LOSE THEIR CHEVY AVALANCHE "SHIT KICKING" CARS ALONG WITH THEIR ESCELADES AND BMWS.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOME PRICES PLUMMET EVEN MORE. THE ONLY THING THAT PISSES ME OFF ABOUT THE WHOLE THING IS THAT THE BANKS ARE GETTING EVEN FATTER. WE NEED TO BURN THE FUCKERS DOWN AND ROUTINE ASSASINATIONS OF CROOKED CEOS NEED TO BEGIN IMMEDIATELY.

Someone needs to get laid.
you treat me like a monologue ho