Quote from: Emperor Reagan
And then the Son of the Lord walked out of the tomb and spoke to Mary, "Thou shallt stuff theyself with bacon, for it is the will of God." - Mark 48:36

And then Jesus went into the wilderness.  After fasting for 40 days and nights, he gorged himself on 30 Kosher beef franks in 36 minutes, setting what was then the Guinness World Record.  - Acts 16:94

The Bible is full of such versus. 

Woman to be caned for drinking beer. (Read 47989 times)
Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 05:27:34 PM
I'll bet you couldn't type that whole thing with a straight face.

From the standpoint of a theological leader, it makes sense.  Those leaders are responsible not only for their followers' physical well-being, but their spiritual well-being as well.

Come on dude, their rationalizations don't make their actions just, nor their imaginary super-beings real.

Like Si said.
Go to these sites, and don't forget to tell your friends!
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:52 PM
Come on dude, their rationalizations don't make their actions just, nor their imaginary super-beings real.

But THEY believe it's real, and they're operating on their best, gut feeling on what's the just thing to do.
Like yours.  Only different.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 05:30:26 PM
And they're wrong.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 05:31:10 PM
Except it's all bullshit.

This is YOU, operating on your best, gut feeling.

OH NO!  SOLIPSISM!  RUN!!
poking some fun at myself, there.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:31:31 PM by eitje »

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 05:32:28 PM
And they're wrong.

According to your theories, not to theirs.

OH NO!  SUBJECTIVE VIEWPOINTS!  RUN!!!
still poking fun at myself...!  :D

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 05:34:48 PM
Hey, you know, we could have this same argument over the kind of beer she was drinking, and make just as much headway.

I think she should've had an amber ale.  Obviously the best beer when refuting religions.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 05:36:40 PM
But, that opinion is entirely based on my own ignorance, suspicion, and prejudice.
Hey I have no idea either...

heaven and hell, without tomfoolery in between.
not a valid lifestyle.

Except it's all bullshit.
I've made the argument before that religion (all religion) is inherently crippling due not so much to its potential to inspire evil actions, but rather due to its prohibition of scrutiny of itself in its believers. Anything where you are required to accept something is slavery.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 05:42:05 PM
I've made the argument before that religion (all religion) is inherently crippling due not so much to its potential to inspire evil actions, but rather due to its prohibition of scrutiny of itself in its believers. Anything where you are required to accept something is slavery.

Even with atheism you are accepting there is no God.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 05:48:20 PM
Not so. Atheism is experience-based. With atheism I'm failing to accept those things that go beyond nature (i.e. are supernatural).
So I'm not so much accepting the nothingness of God as I am failing to accept the reality of the non-natural.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:49:22 PM by Doormouse »

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 05:57:53 PM

Even with atheism you are accepting there is no God.

Not really. I don't assert that there's no god, I just have yet to see any proof that there is.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 06:03:52 PM
Exactly. Unlike religion, scientific-method-based atheism is a passive system.
Should proof of god emerge, then the scientific-method-based atheist would be logically required to believe in him (if you can call that "belief in").
Granted the atheist would probably avoid the terminology "God" as it's so suggestive of the "other-worldly."

EDIT: This is a point I've made many times before, but there's a fundamental problem with the language here. The word "believe" is far too vague.
Religious belief is intangible - it's like your belief that your mother loves you. Or the belief that aggression is wicked.
Scientific belief is concrete - it's like believing that the apple you are holding is real. More complex concepts and mechanisms are built up on smaller proven units and bound together with logic. In many ways, the term "scientific belief" is more similar to "understanding" than belief.
In this way, scientific theories are almost like religious beliefs. The only difference is that scientific theories are extrapolations grounded in the concrete whereas religious beliefs are further intangible items grounded in other religious beliefs or not grounded in anything at all.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:24:56 PM by Doormouse »

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 06:53:39 PM
You fuckers DARE to have a theological debate when I'm either working or having a nap???

OK fine, I'm pulling a Tricky. I an soooo DONE with you.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 06:58:26 PM
You fuckers DARE to have a theological debate when I'm either working or having a nap???

OK fine, I'm pulling a Tricky. I an soooo DONE with you.

You must've been working, since you wouldn't be grumpy if you'd just come up from a nap.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 07:23:22 PM
Scientific belief is concrete - it's like believing that the apple you are holding is real.

Sakhi's hindu, she doesn't believe anything is real, it's all illusion created by various vibrational frequencies. Your analogy is lost on her.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 08:26:32 PM
Sakhi's hindu, she doesn't believe anything is real, it's all illusion created by various vibrational frequencies. Your analogy is lost on her.

That's what Quantum Physicists believe, too!  :o

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:14 PM
They stole it cause they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Duh.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #46 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:20 PM
In that statement, which group is represented by "They"...?

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 12:00:11 AM
I'm partial to zen as far as things go.  I'm not good about regularly practicing zazen, though.

I think the problem with Islam vs. other religions is that their text was outright written by people in power.  Even if you accept that it was all uttered by Muhammad, he was a political and military leader in addition to a spiritual one.  There's no separation.

Say what you want about Constantine and the Christian Bible, it was at least cobbled together from other sources (and rather poorly, in my opinion, for the explicit purpose of supporting the state) instead of being directly written by a Caliph & their scribes.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:31 AM
I love it when hot Arab bitches down a cold one.
Loaded-Gun.com - I don't know what the hell they are talking about or why they are even there. They don't make serious points and they don't joke, but they still manage to make a lot of posts somehow.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 10:44:48 AM
Yeah, there should be a site with hot arab chicks drinking booze and voting and shit.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 11:39:17 AM
The world made in the image of Christianity:

The world made in the image of Sikhism:

The world made in the image of Islam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpfwuy4v2s&feature=player_embedded

PS- The world made in the image of proselytizing atheist dweebs with tiny imaginations:

iMo Apple

It's truly a shame I am no longer there to yell at girls to make out with you.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #51 on: October 01, 2009, 11:56:20 AM
17-year-old girl beaten by holy warriors

But I'd bet money she won't be catching anything from Kyle or Dylan...

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #52 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:59 AM

That's what Quantum Physicists believe, too!  :o

Can I call myself a Quantum Physicist then?

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #53 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:40 PM
You can call yourself anything you like, dear. This is America, regardless of what Wozzeck thinks it is.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 12:14:39 PM
You can call yourself anything you like, dear. This is America the Internet, regardless of what Wozzeck every single american on the internet appears to think it is.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 12:16:19 PM
That too.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #56 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:14 PM
The world made in the image of Islam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpfwuy4v2s#noexternalembed

fixed.

The world made in the image of Christianity Anglicanism/Episcopalianism:
fixed, but of course you're forgetting the most popular cousin of the oldschool gentrified protestants: the Christian fundamentalists!

The world made in the image of Christian Evangelicalism:

PS- The world made in the image of proselytizing atheist dweebs with tiny imaginations:
If Atheists Ruled the World
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:19:46 PM by Doormouse »

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #57 on: October 01, 2009, 01:00:48 PM
I think the problem with Islam vs. other religions is that their text was outright written by people in power.  Even if you accept that it was all uttered by Muhammad, he was a political and military leader in addition to a spiritual one.  There's no separation.

Say what you want about Constantine and the Christian Bible, it was at least cobbled together from other sources (and rather poorly, in my opinion, for the explicit purpose of supporting the state) instead of being directly written by a Caliph & their scribes.
I think th problem with Islam is entirely context-based. Look at conditions in the places where major world religions are practiced. Practitioners of Christianity have different cultural values than practitioners of Islam. It's not because of doctrinal differences in the religions. At best you could make a shaky argument that Islam is more easily interpreted to allow for violence, but that's a very hard argument to make given the similarities between the treatment of violence in the Qur'an and in the Hebrew Tanakh, and in many other texts central to many other religions. Religion is interpretation of vague and often self-contradictory scripture. Interpretation is accomplished by man. People who have problems with Islam have problems with the culture of the practitioners of Islam. The culture of the practitioners does not derive from the religion, rather the religious interpretations derive from the culture. The solution is not to expunge the religion, but to work with the practitioners.

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #58 on: October 01, 2009, 01:10:24 PM
You can call yourself anything you like, dear. This is America the Internet, regardless of what Wozzeck every single american on the internet appears to think it is.

Are we American's so impressive that we even completely own being assholes on the Internet?

I doubt that.
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com

Re: Woman to be caned for drinking beer. Reply #59 on: October 01, 2009, 01:26:22 PM

I think th problem with Islam is entirely context-based. Look at conditions in the places where major world religions are practiced. Practitioners of Christianity have different cultural values than practitioners of Islam. It's not because of doctrinal differences in the religions. At best you could make a shaky argument that Islam is more easily interpreted to allow for violence, but that's a very hard argument to make given the similarities between the treatment of violence in the Qur'an and in the Hebrew Tanakh, and in many other texts central to many other religions. Religion is interpretation of vague and often self-contradictory scripture. Interpretation is accomplished by man. People who have problems with Islam have problems with the culture of the practitioners of Islam. The culture of the practitioners does not derive from the religion, rather the religious interpretations derive from the culture. The solution is not to expunge the religion, but to work with the practitioners.

Hey, Mr. Brainiac... You're talking about a religion based on a book that contains actual instructions to go kill everyone who won't "submit" to Islam. It's not the culture's interpretation, it's the religion's explicit instructions. While the Tanakh tells stories of specific instances where the Jews were commanded by God to conquer and destroy specific enemies, nowhere does it command that modern day followers go out and kill everyone who won't convert to Judaism.

In short, STFU. 
KimboFever.com
MyWebTrash.com
d00dj00sux0r.com