Quote from: homeless-joe
woohoo I am asexual !!

ze healthcare thing(Read 13710 times)
Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #60 on: April 22, 2010, 05:09:58 PM
Nah, I think he's asking how many titty dances I'd have to perform to scrape together $1k...

I'm sure its more than 400.

Yeah, I misread it ..
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 12:16:29 AM
My boyfriend is sick and refuses to go to the doctor, but he has healthcare.  I on the other hand do not have it and would love to go to the doctor in order to get a physical.  I keep getting staph infections and I need to find out why.... get my blood checked out and such.  Oh well.... tis life.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #62 on: April 24, 2010, 05:10:50 PM
Blood staph, ear/nose/throat staph, or open wound staph?
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #63 on: April 24, 2010, 05:35:51 PM
Yeah, can't some staph infections be life-threatening?
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #64 on: April 24, 2010, 09:33:50 PM
Yeah, can't some staph infections be life-threatening?

Yes.

Sasha?  You need to give us a little more info for us to be able to help.
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #65 on: April 24, 2010, 11:19:55 PM
Maybe this is a touch too cynical but I don't think Sasha is here for help. I think she's mainly here to complain.
I get that though. Complaining feels good.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #66 on: April 25, 2010, 02:56:01 PM
Still though ...
ANY staph can easily spread and cause one to be septic ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #67 on: April 26, 2010, 01:15:08 AM
The staph I have is on the side of my head next to my left ear.  It has been reoccurring for years now!  I hate it.  It felt like the side of my face was on fire.  It is just something I have to deal with.  The doctor gave me a sulfa style medication for it.  I am allergic to sulfa's so I asked for the alternative.  It is making it go away but it is such a sloooooowwww process!  I have asked so many doctors why I get it and how to avoid it.  The newest doctor said to bathe in hibiclens every couple of days and that it is just something I have to deal with.... forever.  I am beginning to wonder if I could get something removed... surgically, so that I can stop having these "outbreaks."

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #68 on: April 26, 2010, 07:04:10 AM
You should get a head CT. If you have a cavernous malformation, an unusual mass of blood vessels in that region, it could harbor the infection in dormancy.

I know this because it happened to me in my 20s. A little surgery and you'll be fine.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #69 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:10 AM
Good call ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #70 on: April 26, 2010, 06:52:33 PM
I had one of those about a year ago when they thought my brain was bleeding since I was having fainting spells.  Turns out my brain wasn't bleeding and they just decided I was having panic attacks.  I wonder how much a CT would cost without insurance.  If I don't get a CT can I just go without one for awhile?  What would you recommend I do in the meantime?  Everyone already thinks I'm a germaphobe.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #71 on: April 26, 2010, 08:29:05 PM
If you have a cluster that is harboring a dormant infection, you;re going to keep getting it and getting it until you build up a tolerance to whatever anti-biotic they are giving you and then the infection kills you.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #72 on: April 26, 2010, 10:44:10 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #73 on: April 26, 2010, 11:05:07 PM
Of course you could just have a weakened immune system from something else you have...?

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #74 on: April 27, 2010, 12:39:48 AM
Good analysis aint cheap. Neither is a bad analysis.
Quote from: FB comment
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #75 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:26 AM
...  I wonder how much a CT would cost without insurance.  ...

COST?!?  Good Grief, girlfriend, you stumble in, tell 'em you're an illegal, and to send the bill to the White House, for crying out loud!
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #76 on: April 27, 2010, 10:17:24 PM
I think I might just go to the hospital tomorrow after my management test.  I developed a killer sore throat today.  I feel like I'm getting the flu.  I think the feeling sorry for myself concept has decided to wrap itself around me like a warm blanket.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #77 on: April 28, 2010, 08:03:42 AM
This is what happens when you get clean and monogamous...

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #78 on: April 28, 2010, 09:08:56 AM
On the subject of healthcare, if Michael Moore is to be believed (sometimes his research is good, sometimes less so), the fine for denying someone for a pre-existing condition under the new bill is $100/day if they're caught.

So insurance companies have a pretty easy equation to figure out who to insure, still.  They just tack a $36,500 cost times some factor for the odds of getting caught into their existing formulas.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:24:29 PM by Emperor Reagan »

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #79 on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:02 AM
Been telling about that for weeks, it's apparently true.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #80 on: April 28, 2010, 12:23:39 PM
I guess I would be curious to find out what the average healthcare cost for a person denied coverage is.

It will probably be enough to push the current insure/not insure line out somewhat. 

I would basically take the average daily healthcare cost of a person denied coverage, assume a relatively low enforcement rate (say, 25%), add in the costs of enforcement to come up with my baseline fine.

I would then take that number and add another 100% for a punitive fine.

2*(daily healthcare cost/0.25+enforcement cost)=fine
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:41:06 PM by Emperor Reagan »

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #81 on: April 29, 2010, 08:38:11 AM
So WTF does that mean,

in DOLLARS?
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #82 on: April 29, 2010, 11:50:48 AM
This is what happens when you get clean and monogamous...

Wait ...
Wha??? ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #83 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:35 PM
So WTF does that mean,

in DOLLARS?

Wendy, lets say you need a $300,000.00 surgery or you're going to die in 3 months. The insurance company has to choose between paying $300,000.00 or dropping you and paying $9,000.00.

Which one do you think they are going to choose?

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #84 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09:40 PM
My fine scenario means this:

If a company expects to actually pay $100 per day on average for an average patient's care, then the fine would be (and let's assume average daily enforcement costs 10% of the daily average cost):

2*(100/.25+100*.1)=820.

The company would have a choice between paying the $100 daily to actually insure the individual, OR pay $820 per day to be in non-compliance. 

If you're going to use fines as an enforcement tool, then you have to be sure that they're high enough to force companies to comply. 

Here's an easy example:

Let's say it costs $10 per day to park on the street in the city.  Assume, also, that you would be able to avoid the ticket 10% of the time either because someone fails to enforce it, or by appealing it through the courts.

If the fine for not paying at the meter is $8, then you should obviously take the ticket every single time.

If the fine for not paying at the meter is $10, then you should also take the fine every single time, because you won't have to pay 1 in ten times on average and you're breaking even at worse.

If the fine for not paying at the meter is $11, then you should also skip the meter every single time.  Paying 9 times out of ten, on average, means that you will save a dollar over paying at the meter.

It isn't until you hit a fine of $12 that it makes sense to consider paying at the meter. 

If you're a corporation in the US at that point, you still wouldn't consider paying the fine there.  You  would consider the cost of your lawyers/lobbyists/accounts/etc. and try to force the percentage of time you can get away with violating the law higher rather than actually paying the fine.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #85 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:50 PM
I am drunk posting about healthcare fines.

Ugh.,

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #86 on: April 30, 2010, 02:43:28 PM
A good example of a horrible fine structure:

Eli Lily was marketing Zyprexa for off label use in elderly people for dementia.

The US government caught on to this about 4 years after the fact and fined them $1.4 billion.  Over the same time period, Eli Lily made nearly $40 billion on Zyprexa sales.

Fines on the order of 1-3%, typical of how drug companies get fined, do very little to deter or curb unethical behavior.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #87 on: April 30, 2010, 09:40:15 PM
You might have been drunk,

but you made GOOD sense, Emp!

Thank you BOTH for the explanation!

(I actually did that other post as a sort of jerking your chain type thing, but ended up LEARNING something!)
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #88 on: April 30, 2010, 10:59:18 PM
Woohoo  um yeah.
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: ze healthcare thing Reply #89 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:47 AM
STFU
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity