Quote from: david
if you really wanna impress someone... write their full name on the side of the police station

pacific northwest(Read 10253 times)
Re: pacific northwest Reply #60 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33:08 PM
/?byo?ot?f?l/
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: pacific northwest Reply #61 on: September 05, 2013, 09:16:08 AM
I was actually just having this conversation with some friends. We were all fuck ups in high school and immediately after of one sort or another. Basically, we were all smart, fidgity kids uninterested in what school was about. Later in life (mid to late 20's) we all figured out some difficult,t skill or niche to excel in.

Man, I wish this country had a tracked school system that included vocational education and a broader introduction to actual types of work. There are a lot of kids smart enough and interested enough in manipulating real objects to staff every high tech machine shop in this country. But the college focused, suburban school system is turning them all into dissatisfied engineers with silly hobbies. Cos better a tie than grime under your nails.

Re: pacific northwest Reply #62 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:10 AM
I certainly agree with that assessment - most engineers I went to school with and have worked with ended up disappointed in what the job actually is.  So they start up maker's spaces and learn to weld or buy surplus machine shop equipment and build stuff in their garage.

When I quit my job at a consulting place and went to work for a small OEM where I actually get to put my hands on what we build, the partner nearing retirement age I had my interview with told me he wished he'd done that when he was young.  The only engineers I know who like their jobs either wanted to end up in management/marketing/doing nothing anyway, or are at places where they get to straddle the hands on/numbers side of things.

Re: pacific northwest Reply #63 on: September 05, 2013, 02:02:59 PM
I agree as well, students should be allowed to specialize instead of being forced through the full curriculum designed to milk tax payers regardless of how the student turns out.

The whole college incentive I never had any chance at, my parents were dirt poor.

I don't think there is a single thing I was supposed to learn back in the day that had/has any real value. Everything that makes me who I am I've learned on my own.

Re: pacific northwest Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:28 AM
I was a fuck up in high school.
Then I joined the Marines.
Then I got out and went back to being a fuck up.
Then I moved to Portland.
Nobody here seems to care that I'm a fuck up.
I finally fit in.
<<<Delete Yourself!>>>

Re: pacific northwest Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 06:15:48 PM
I'm 'aight ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: pacific northwest Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:31 PM
"don't no body worry bout me"