Quote from: PsychoPathetic
... and i think he's getting REALLY into it until i open my eyes and see my fucking dog humping his face. that kinda ruined the moment.

Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions (Read 7347 times)
Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #30 on: December 19, 2020, 12:43:14 AM
I had that same model Jag, I hated that it had the square plastic headlights instead of the iconic round glass and hood line, I only kept it a very short while.  The Porsche looked like it was in fair shape. (I think they are ugly though)

I thought you were referring to the creepy mannequin.
Reality; A shared narrative we all agree to believe.

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #31 on: December 19, 2020, 01:42:42 AM
That was just funny ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Quote from: bagman, 04-29-2002 04:35 PM
Haha I'm gonna get some punani soon ya fucks!

|)__/)
(='.'=) This is the signature bunny. He's hard-fucking-core!
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #32 on: January 07, 2022, 10:37:06 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #33 on: January 07, 2022, 10:55:20 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #34 on: January 07, 2022, 10:56:04 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #35 on: January 07, 2022, 11:18:01 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #36 on: January 07, 2022, 11:30:23 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #37 on: January 07, 2022, 11:36:57 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #38 on: January 11, 2022, 03:02:49 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #39 on: January 11, 2022, 03:34:51 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 03:35:18 PM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #41 on: January 11, 2022, 05:00:10 PM
RadioShack.Com goes to a Crypto Page now ...
Bringing Cryptocurrency To The Mainstream

RadioShack is a 100 year old brand embedded into the global consciousness… and we are going to lead the way for blockchain tech to reach mainstream adoption by other large brands.
... interesting
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #42 on: January 12, 2022, 10:04:20 AM
RadioShack is the only one of these that I actually miss.

All of their electronics kits were awesome. I remember playing with them as a kid, I had one of those 75-in-1 or 150-in-1 or whatever electronics kits. They had tons of great electronics kits over the years as maker spaces took off, too.

Their TVs and other home electronics were always too expensive, but they had better stock of accessories than anyone else. And they were all over the place, so you didn't have to go find a specialty electronics shop.

I did buy a ton of random parts kits when they closed at least.

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #43 on: January 13, 2022, 07:52:31 AM
I learned the basics of electronics with one of those "breadboard" kits ...
Overall, they were a little expensive and a lot of their stuff was just rebranded ... For example, the scanners were all Uniden, just rebranded ... The CBs were the same ...
I worked in one of their stores during peak, and their markups were insane ... Each store was built independently to the Tandy corporation ... This made it to profit levels, one to Tandy, and one to the store ...
A good example, a simple watch battery, it cost them about 14 to 18 cents, but they charged $4 in the stores ... That was the cost that Tandy levied to the stores, so what did it cost Tandy; probably about a dime ...

Everything in that store had the dual markup ...
The first one being what Tandy charged the stores, then the second being what the stores charged us consumers ...
They definitely had profits down to a science ...

PS; I really miss Bradlees as well ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #44 on: January 17, 2022, 05:08:33 PM
Seeing pricing markups at my job makes me a little nuts sometimes. I'll get pricing from a vendor and the part might cost us $35. We pass it through at $350 list/MSRP.  That usually gets negotiated down, so might sell it for only a 6-7x markup instead of 10x.

I've gotten list pricing direct from Chinese manufacturers for some parts. The markups can be pretty astounding.

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #45 on: January 18, 2022, 01:32:08 PM
Well, MSRP is a joke itself ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #46 on: January 18, 2022, 04:32:27 PM
Yeah. And then you can go down the rabbit hole of how much business and accounting are straight bullshit in general and wonder how our society even stays afloat.

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 12:45:13 AM
Seriously, I agree with that ....

But, MSRP is just for show ...
MSRP=$100
Our Price=$60
Get %X0 more off of MSRP with XXXXX Coupon!=
How can you justify $100 for this item selling RETAIL for half that, or less?

It's all a con-job, bro ....
All of "big business" is ....
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 12:01:14 PM
Yeah.

Some of it is a relic of having a lot of sales people/middlemen taking a cut of things. We still have that in my industry; manufacturers sell through independent sales reps. They negotiate the price of the equipment with a contractor and then buy it from us for a standard multiplier - say 65% of list price. The closer they get to list price, the more commission they make.

I've always thought this was a con; the sales people really don't add much. Most of what they bring to the table is a demand for additional overhead and profit.

Those intermediaries have been forced out of most industries, so there's really no reason for the farce to continue other than the con. It's interesting to look at Target vs. Walmart, for instance. Walmart actually operates at much lower profit margins than Target - whether you look at gross, net, or operating. There's ultimately a really good reason that Walmart's yearly revenue is so much higher than Target's: they're ripping customers off less. You see the same thing at other companies like Costco or Aldi or Lidl, where they operate with slimmer profit margins (and all of the stupid tactics like 60% off door buster sales!).

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #49 on: January 20, 2022, 08:36:31 PM
That's actually a good point ...
We have places like Walmart, Target, and Amazon BECAUSE the "middleman" isn't present (or even necessary) anymore ...

Bradlees FAILED because they bought everything on "credit", sold it for 100% profit, and sold old inventory on 'clearance' for 40%-50% off
(break even) to pay the credit the suppliers extended to them (and burn off old inventory to make room for updated inventory) ... Walmart came in and bought everything in bulk outright from the same suppliers (give or take) ... The suppliers said "if they can do it, so can you", and with tightened credit limits the stores couldn't secure merchandise ... I get it; why "give it away", risking supply deficits, when you have a company that buys it outright (that you don't have to worry about collecting on)?

This is where the "middleman" started to fade away ...
The internet delivered more crushing blows to the middleman ....

I saw it in a few of my clients ... One was an AC supply company that operated out of a small office ...
They were simply brokers when you needed to be "registered" and "licensed" to distribute certain goods from certain suppliers ...
Enter - The Internet ---> Get anything you want from anywhere, anytime ...
Guess where the clients went ... And where those "elite distributors" went ... Hmmm ...

Distributors made more money selling direct to client, the client saved money with no middleman ....
Then ... BOOM! .... Amazon took over everything ....

Hmmm ...
Well, maybe not quite that cut-and-dry ....
But it's not too far off from how it all eventually ended up today ...
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')

Re: Defunct Retail/Bad Retail Decisions Reply #50 on: April 01, 2023, 10:38:55 AM
BOOYA, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

|)__/)
('')_('')