Quote from: underclass
it's that or allow immigrants in; this country will do ANYTHING to keep it's bloodline a pure mix of several other races

Banned from HF(Read 96223 times)
Re: Banned from HF Reply #150 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:02 AM
NotDead, I've been here for 10 years. And I'm at least 10 years older than all the posters here save one.

How old are you?  I'm 47.  I was posting on CompuServe back before the internet was open to the general public.

So the only thing I learned at HF was something I've known all my life: When the man in charge says "Trust Me", don't trust him.

I'll trust you on that.  ;)  You da man.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #151 on: August 22, 2009, 09:43:32 AM
We're the same age. I mean the original posters here. They ranged from 15 - 28 when I joined in 98.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos...
KNOW NYARLATHOTEP, KNOW CHAOS!

Re: Banned from HF Reply #152 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:07 AM
No, I havent forgotten him. And no, he was actually an alright guy.

You don't think somebody can be both at the same time?  I do.

I didn't have any other way of saying what I think in words. He's wasn't so extreme.

He made poop jokes and posted some gross pics, nothing more than what people do here in sex & gossip.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #153 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:15 AM
Uhhhhh. NotDead? Lucas was being sarcastic.

No, I was being serious this time!

Someone (NotDead) finally said something interesting about how HF hangs together.  I was intrigued by the fact that, in an artifcial social continuum, people have identified themselves with virtual spaces in the same way that they would identify themselves with physical spaces.

The normal "DEY TOOK MA YOOOBBBB" or "DEY TOOK MA FREEEEDUMBS" posts are uninteresting, you're right.  But you should be ashamed that you don't know me well enough to recognize that interactions of social groups (the study of which is the whole reason you know me at all) would perk up my ears.
Like yours.  Only different.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #154 on: August 22, 2009, 10:40:14 AM

Re: Banned from HF Reply #155 on: August 22, 2009, 10:41:09 AM
He made poop jokes and posted some gross pics, nothing more than what people do here in sex & gossip.

Maybe your gauge of what is and is not appropriate has been broken, so that kind of behavior seems reasonable to you.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #156 on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:28 AM
This is true, Luke has made a hobby of social anthropology and anthromorphology.

Which makes him king of the dorks. All hail.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #157 on: August 22, 2009, 10:48:18 AM
Well, it WAS my hobby.  It's still an interest, but I've moved on since 2005.

I had to give up my most recent hobby (making video games) for work, and I think I'm still looking for a replacement.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #158 on: August 22, 2009, 11:15:59 AM

It just turned out to be a little too much for HF-RT.  They didn't need a King of Shit.  Sometimes it takes a few tries to figure out where you fit in and where you don't.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #159 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:18 AM
http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2009/07/goodbye-compuserve-we-thought-you-had-already-died.ars

Interesting.  I had also assumed they were long gone.

Those were good days.  Very different from the web today.  Computers were expensive and hard to use, so the online crowd was quite a bit above average - a step up from NPR listeners, if you can imagine that.  Online advertisers targeted them with high-end products and services.  Sometimes it sucked for ordinary people trying to post, like me.  Seems like every discussion had somebody in it who was an expert in that field.  I didn't get to say much.

The thing that hasn't changed is the basic concept of threads and subforums.  That goes all the way back to Prodigy, which came before CompuServe.  They did a good job of thinking all that out, to come up with something that has lasted for 20+ years.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #160 on: August 22, 2009, 11:30:57 AM
I was still posting on NSA's Intranet IRC back then...

Re: Banned from HF Reply #161 on: August 22, 2009, 11:34:18 AM
The thing that hasn't changed is the basic concept of threads and subforums.  That goes all the way back to Prodigy, which came before CompuServe.  They did a good job of thinking all that out, to come up with something that has lasted for 20+ years.

Arguably, social networking sites like Facebook & Twitter are actually doing a significant amount of work to re-engineer the way conversations are held on the internet.  It's just places like HF & LG that hold on to a slowly-outdating mode.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #162 on: August 22, 2009, 11:36:12 AM

Re: Banned from HF Reply #163 on: August 22, 2009, 11:37:42 AM
The second one. I'm not from New Zealand, after all...

Re: Banned from HF Reply #164 on: August 22, 2009, 11:43:29 AM

Maybe your gauge of what is and is not appropriate has been broken, so that kind of behavior seems reasonable to you.

Maybe. Or maybe it's just been so long I can't remember most of it anymore. Or maybe just since I've been on his forum recently and he seems like someone going through a rough patch in their life.

But I still don't think I'd call it extreme. I never saw a picture of a knife in a cock.

No, I was being serious this time!

Someone (NotDead) finally said something interesting about how HF hangs together.  I was intrigued by the fact that, in an artifcial social continuum, people have identified themselves with virtual spaces in the same way that they would identify themselves with physical spaces.

The normal "DEY TOOK MA YOOOBBBB" or "DEY TOOK MA FREEEEDUMBS" posts are uninteresting, you're right.  But you should be ashamed that you don't know me well enough to recognize that interactions of social groups (the study of which is the whole reason you know me at all) would perk up my ears.
I'm glad you were being serious, makes me feel better for being interested in it myself.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:44:14 AM by Sakhi »

Re: Banned from HF Reply #165 on: August 22, 2009, 11:46:31 AM

Arguably, social networking sites like Facebook & Twitter are actually doing a significant amount of work to re-engineer the way conversations are held on the internet.  It's just places like HF & LG that hold on to a slowly-outdating mode.

eh, facebook and twitter are usually used by people that already know each other. Not to actually 'meet' new people.

I don't think forums will be going anywhere just yet.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #166 on: August 22, 2009, 11:49:17 AM
Arguably, social networking sites like Facebook & Twitter are actually doing a significant amount of work to re-engineer the way conversations are held on the internet.

You're right, but I don't like the way that Facebook pushes people in the direction of talking mostly to old real-life friends and people who live nearby.  I can do that without a computer.  I always thought it was better to group people online primarily by common interests.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #167 on: August 22, 2009, 03:42:31 PM
that's just how most people us those tools.  :)

Re: Banned from HF Reply #168 on: August 23, 2009, 01:52:02 PM
Awful lot of unreg'd guests viewing this thread. That pedophile Skip ban you too?  Maybe you tools should register and say hello.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #169 on: August 23, 2009, 04:16:22 PM
That pedophile Skip ban you too? 

The Chaos Factor got tossed from HF a few hours ago, so brace yourself.  All hands, battle stations; this is not a drill.  Those who know him know exactly what I'm talking about.  :D

Re: Banned from HF Reply #170 on: August 23, 2009, 05:32:33 PM
What, so he'll come here and ask is inane social effective questions like, "Is your social circle diverse?"

Bring it, boyo.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #171 on: August 23, 2009, 05:37:16 PM
He wont be showing up.
Quote from: FB comment
Look dude, there's only one thing I like that starts with Hot Black Co- and it doesn't end in 'ffee'.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #172 on: August 23, 2009, 08:26:58 PM
He wont be showing up.

I hope you are right.  The manufactured drama is getting old.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #173 on: August 23, 2009, 08:32:58 PM
"Is your social circle diverse?"

yes!

Re: Banned from HF Reply #174 on: August 23, 2009, 08:46:00 PM
I found some forums I didn didn't know existed by clicking "new posts", and some assholes I didn't know existed, either...

Re: Banned from HF Reply #175 on: August 24, 2009, 12:05:26 AM
So why isn't TCF coming here?
A Mobius Strip
IS Infinity

Re: Banned from HF Reply #176 on: August 24, 2009, 12:07:14 AM
He's already registered here, he reg'd the night we ganged up on Skipper. Just never posted.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #177 on: August 24, 2009, 12:13:49 AM
Every time I see this thread title I hear, "Banned in DC... thank you, thank you..." in my head.
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #178 on: August 24, 2009, 01:03:13 AM
I think of refugees myself.

Re: Banned from HF Reply #179 on: August 24, 2009, 01:07:22 AM
Bad Brains > Fugees
ever tried. ever failed. no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.